1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Pendulum Fractal Basin Boundaries in Mathematica

1. Feb 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey all, this is for a laboratory. I need to determine the fractal basin boundaries for a magnetic pendulum swinging chaotically about 3 other magnets underneath. I was able to plot a single path for the pendulum in Mathematica, but now I need to expand my code to determine each endpoint for each starting point. I'm thinking that a Do loop involving lists might work, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to incorporate the functions NDSolve, List and Do. I COULD do each path individually and record the results, but I really don't think that's practical.

2. Relevant equations
    y''[t] + r y'[t] - Ʃ(Yi-y[t])/√((Xi-x[t])^2 + (Yi-y[t])^2 + d^2)^3 + c y[t] ==0

The sum is for Y1, Y2 and Y3 (and X1, X2 and X3) which are the coordinates of the magnets. The other equation for the displacement of x[t] is the same as for y[t], so I don't see the need to write it twice.

r,c,d are all constants, where r is air resistance, d is the distance between the pendulum and the sitting magnets if it were directly over it. c is the spring constant of the pendulum.

I've attached a couple notebooks so that you can see more clearly what I'm doing.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt at the solution is to make a Do loop in which Mathematica uses NDSolve for each starting coordinate from {-5,-5} to {5,5} in increments of 0.1 and outputs the endpoint at around 100 seconds when the pendulum is basically circling a single magnet. I understand what I have to find out, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to make it work!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?