1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series Solution for O.D.E (Frobenius method?)

1. Feb 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (For Physics 306: Theoretical methods of Physics... Text book: Mathematical Tools for Physics (really good!)...
    Assumption: 300 level class = considerably junior level class)

-- Find a series solution about x=0 for y''+ysec(x) = 0, at least to a few terms.

(Ans: a[itex]_{0}[/itex][1-(1/2)x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+0x[itex]^{4}[/itex]+1/720x[itex]^{6}[/itex]+...]+a[itex]_{1}[/itex][x-(1/6)x[itex]^{3}[/itex]-(1/60)x[itex]^{5}[/itex]+...]

2. Relevant equations

Frobenius Solution: Supposing there is a singularity point at x=x0, a possible solution is given by the power series, that is

Ʃ(from k=0 to inf) a[itex]_{k}[/itex]x[itex]^{k+s}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

There is a singularity point not at x=0, but at x= npi/2. The problem specifies, though, to try finding a power series solution about x=0.

Let x(t) = Ʃ a[itex]_{k}[/itex]x[itex]^{k+s}[/itex]

Using this, plug it into the equation to obtain

Ʃ a[itex]_{k}[/itex]x[itex]^{k+s-2}[/itex] (k+s)(k+s-1) +Ʃ a[itex]_{k}[/itex]x[itex]^{k+s}[/itex] = 0

after that I matched the terms up by pushing the first summation up by two indicese. To do this, I wrote out two terms, then shifted the k values by +2.

a[itex]_{0}[/itex](s)(s-1)x[itex]^{s-2}[/itex]+a[itex]_{1}[/itex](1+s)(s)x[itex]^{s-1}[/itex]+Ʃ a[itex]_{k+2}[/itex]x[itex]^{k+s}[/itex] (k+s+2)(k+s+1) +Ʃ a[itex]_{k}[/itex]x[itex]^{k+s}[/itex] = 0

This is where I stopped. I'm unsure as to what to do next. You match up the terms in a regular Forbenius method, but this time it has a cos(x) in the second term, which is what makes this problem strange to me.

I think the next step is to find s, then just write out a few terms of both the series.

Also sorry about the mess regarding the equations. I got rid of all the sigma indices, so when you see a sigma, it is always from k=0 to k=∞.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2013 #2
    Expand the secant function into a power series.

4. Feb 17, 2013 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Since there's no singularity at x=0, you can use a plain old power series and avoid trying to find s from an indicial equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook