Semiconducor devices Versus conductors

• Thread starter rama1001
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi,
straight away to semiconductors. My first doubt is about why semiconductor materilas are used in making up the diodes or in any other design. why not with conductors.

if you did not use doping with semiconductors then is it possible to make conduction between P-type and N-type. first why we choosen semiconductor devices.

Answers and Replies

Hi,
straight away to semiconductors. My first doubt is about why semiconductor materilas are used in making up the diodes or in any other design. why not with conductors.

if you did not use doping with semiconductors then is it possible to make conduction between P-type and N-type. first why we choosen semiconductor devices.
Hi,
this one link gives all the information you need (i hope you may know this link):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiconductor

Hi,
I know the back ground theorey of semiconductor and conductor before regrading bandgap and doping.
But my doubt is how they got the idea of only semiconductor can be useful for making up of diodes and transistors or may other stuff. I dont know how they are very useful in these areas.

Hi,
I know the back ground theorey of semiconductor and conductor before regrading bandgap and doping.
But my doubt is how they got the idea of only semiconductor can be useful for making up of diodes and transistors or may other stuff. I dont know how they are very useful in these areas.
The two parts in bold are in direct contradiction with each other. Learn more about semiconductors and you'll find out how and why they are useful. Your question is far too general.

For starters, what is your current education level?

edit: Here is a non-technical perspective on the history of semiconductors: http://www.computerhistory.org/semiconductor/timeline.html. I haven't read all of it, so I don't know if it is 100% accurate.

Last edited:
1. The charge density in the semiconductors are controllable and hence the current in the devices can be controlled using voltage pulses which is not possible in conductors.

2. The two types of charge carriers is possible only in semiconductors not in conductors which is critical for the diode formation.

1. The charge density in the semiconductors are controllable and hence the current in the devices can be controlled using voltage pulses which is not possible in conductors.

2. The two types of charge carriers is possible only in semiconductors not in conductors which is critical for the diode formation.
I am looking for such kind of information, thank you so much...

I am looking for such kind of information, thank you so much...
Hi,
It is already given in detail in the link which I showed you. It is just your inability to read them.
cheers.

Hi,
P-type semiconducor is formed with doping of aliminium to silicon and it creates one hole left after bonding. Opposite, N-type type is formed due to dpoing of phosphorous to silicon which creates negative semiconductor. But my doubt regards is there any materials(conductor) can behave as same fashion. if the two prepared semiconductors(P and N) attached together and forms diode or any other device then why they are need 0.7V for conduction and regards junction of the diode, is it the name what we generally used at comabination of hole and electron or there is any theorey behind that "junction".