Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Semiconductor can be a conductor

1. Oct 22, 2017 #1
    I have Semiconductor at my home. I had to use a Semiconductor as junction of electrical current. Current at the junction could be so big if I shoot a sun light from lens and mirror to a Semiconductor. What happen about my experiment? What is it a fotoelectric effect?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2017 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is not a "photoelectric" effect.

Look at the standard band diagram of an intrinsic semiconductor:
    054f8da5dfc1c6235f4e032a9b9b9851.jpg

There is a "gap" in the energy band. The electrons in the conduction band are able to move (just like in an ordinary conductor). At temperature 0K, the valence band is full, the conduction band is empty. At a typical, room temperature, the heat is often enough to cause a small population of electrons to jump from the valence band into the conduction band. Thus, this material becomes a conductor (a poor conductor). If you warm it up even more, more electrons will populate the conduction band, and thus, it becomes more conducting.

Without knowing the material you are using as your "semiconductor", it is hard to know if the energy from light itself is sufficient to cause more electrons to jump into the conduction band, or if the light causes the semiconductor to warm up, and thus, it is the thermal energy that causes more conduction electrons.

Zz.

4. Oct 22, 2017 #3
    Now I know, it's not fotoelectric effect but it's a conversion thermal energy to kinetic energy of the electrons to jump.

5. Oct 22, 2017 #4
    It's not conversion light energy to kinetic energy of the electrons to jump

6. Oct 22, 2017 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It is not directly kinetic energy, and you shouldn't take the "jump" too literally. If you heat up a semiconductor more electrons will be in the conduction band, but this is rarely wanted in applications.

7. Oct 22, 2017 #6
    Thank you very much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted