Semiconductor can be a conductor

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of a semiconductor as a junction for electrical current and the potential for a large current at the junction when exposed to sunlight. It was clarified that this is not a photoelectric effect, but rather a conversion of thermal energy to kinetic energy of the electrons causing an increase in conductivity. The material used as the semiconductor and its properties play a role in determining the extent of this effect.
mthudaa
I have Semiconductor at my home. I had to use a Semiconductor as junction of electrical current. Current at the junction could be so big if I shoot a sun light from lens and mirror to a Semiconductor. What happen about my experiment? What is it a fotoelectric effect?

Physics news on Phys.org
mthudaa said:
I have Semiconductor at my home. I had to use a Semiconductor as junction of electrical current. Current at the junction could be so big if I shoot a sun light from lens and mirror to a Semiconductor. What happen about my experiment? What is it a fotoelectric effect?

This is not a "photoelectric" effect.

Look at the standard band diagram of an intrinsic semiconductor:
054f8da5dfc1c6235f4e032a9b9b9851.jpg

There is a "gap" in the energy band. The electrons in the conduction band are able to move (just like in an ordinary conductor). At temperature 0K, the valence band is full, the conduction band is empty. At a typical, room temperature, the heat is often enough to cause a small population of electrons to jump from the valence band into the conduction band. Thus, this material becomes a conductor (a poor conductor). If you warm it up even more, more electrons will populate the conduction band, and thus, it becomes more conducting.

Without knowing the material you are using as your "semiconductor", it is hard to know if the energy from light itself is sufficient to cause more electrons to jump into the conduction band, or if the light causes the semiconductor to warm up, and thus, it is the thermal energy that causes more conduction electrons.

Zz.

Attachments

• 054f8da5dfc1c6235f4e032a9b9b9851.jpg
    054f8da5dfc1c6235f4e032a9b9b9851.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 518
Likes mthudaa and DeathbyGreen
Now I know, it's not fotoelectric effect but it's a conversion thermal energy to kinetic energy of the electrons to jump.

It's not conversion light energy to kinetic energy of the electrons to jump

It is not directly kinetic energy, and you shouldn't take the "jump" too literally. If you heat up a semiconductor more electrons will be in the conduction band, but this is rarely wanted in applications.

Thank you very much

What is a semiconductor?

A semiconductor is a material that is neither a good conductor nor a good insulator. It has properties that fall between those of conductors and insulators, making it a useful material for electronic devices.

Why is a semiconductor considered a conductor?

A semiconductor can be considered a conductor because it has a lower resistance to the flow of electricity compared to insulators. It also has the ability to conduct electricity under certain conditions.

What elements are commonly used in semiconductors?

Some common elements used in semiconductors are silicon, germanium, and gallium arsenide. These elements have four valence electrons, making them ideal for forming covalent bonds and creating a stable crystal structure.

How are semiconductors used in electronic devices?

Semiconductors are used in electronic devices as the basis for creating transistors. Transistors are essential components in electronic circuits that can amplify or switch electrical signals, making them crucial for the operation of devices such as computers, smartphones, and televisions.

What is the difference between a semiconductor and a conductor?

The main difference between a semiconductor and a conductor is their ability to conduct electricity. While both can conduct electricity, semiconductors have a lower conductivity compared to conductors. Additionally, semiconductors have a varying conductivity depending on external factors such as temperature and voltage, while conductors have a constant conductivity.