Separable equations: How do you know which variable to solve for?

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to solving equations with separable variables and determining the correct answer in terms of the given variables. The first question addresses the use of absolute value signs in the solution process, while the second question discusses the use of the plus or minus sign and absolute value brackets in the answer key. The expert suggests using a new constant to simplify the solution and provides steps for solving the equation with the initial conditions.
JustinLiang
Separable equations: How do you know which variable to solve for? + extra question

Homework Statement

I attached a sample problem with variables u and t. How do I know what the answer should be at the end? In terms of u or in terms of t or it doesn't matter?

Homework Statement

I also have another question, so to prevent spam I will also post it in this thread:

The second picture I attached is the question and I ended up with the answer (as shown in my picture):
y = ±(|2a|sinx/(√3/2))-a

For this question I am confused about the plug or minus sign conventions when you remove absolute value brackets. The answer key shows:
y = (4asinx/(√3/2))-a
It doesn't even have the plus or minus sign or the absolute value brackets for 2a.

Is my answer correct as well?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    3.9 KB · Views: 455
  • Photo 2012-03-04 12 55 31 AM.jpg
    Photo 2012-03-04 12 55 31 AM.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 445
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your second question is usually handled like this. Before you put in the initial condition you have$$
\ln|a+y| = \ln(\sin x) +C$$You don't need absolute value signs in the sine because x is restricted to ##(0,\pi/2)##.$$
\ln\frac{|a+y|}{\sin x} = C$$ $$
|a+y| = (\sin x) e^C$$ $$
a+y = \pm e^c \sin x$$which is similar to your steps. At this point ##C## can be any real number so ##e^C## can be any positive number, so ##\pm e^C## can be any nonzero number. So just call it a new constant ##K## and you get$$
a+y = K\sin x$$Now put in your initial conditions.

For your first question, you are given an equation with ##du/dt## and an initial condition for u as a function of t. That suggest solving for u if you can.

Last edited:

1. What is a separable equation?

A separable equation is a type of differential equation where the variables can be separated and solved independently of each other. This means that the equation can be rewritten in a form where one variable is on one side of the equation and the other variable is on the other side.

2. How do you know which variable to solve for in a separable equation?

In a separable equation, the variable that is multiplied by the derivative term is the one that should be solved for. For example, in the equation dy/dx = f(x)g(y), you should solve for y because it is multiplied by the derivative.

3. Can you solve a separable equation for both variables?

Yes, in most cases you can solve a separable equation for both variables. However, sometimes one variable may be difficult or impossible to solve for, in which case you can only solve for the other variable.

4. What is the purpose of separating the variables in a separable equation?

The purpose of separating the variables in a separable equation is to make it easier to solve. By separating the variables, you can solve for each variable independently, which can be simpler than trying to solve for both variables at the same time.

5. Are there any limitations to using separable equations?

Yes, there are some limitations to using separable equations. They can only be used for certain types of differential equations, and even then, not all equations can be separated. In addition, some separable equations may not have an explicit solution, requiring the use of numerical methods to approximate a solution.