1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separable equations: How do you know which variable to solve for?

1. Mar 4, 2012 #1
    Separable equations: How do you know which variable to solve for? + extra question

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I attached a sample problem with variables u and t. How do I know what the answer should be at the end? In terms of u or in terms of t or it doesn't matter?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I also have another question, so to prevent spam I will also post it in this thread:

The second picture I attached is the question and I ended up with the answer (as shown in my picture):
    y = ±(|2a|sinx/(√3/2))-a

For this question I am confused about the plug or minus sign conventions when you remove absolute value brackets. The answer key shows:
    y = (4asinx/(√3/2))-a
    It doesn't even have the plus or minus sign or the absolute value brackets for 2a.

Is my answer correct as well?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your second question is usually handled like this. Before you put in the initial condition you have$$
    \ln|a+y| = \ln(\sin x) +C$$You don't need absolute value signs in the sine because x is restricted to ##(0,\pi/2)##.$$
    \ln\frac{|a+y|}{\sin x} = C$$ $$
    |a+y| = (\sin x) e^C$$ $$
    a+y = \pm e^c \sin x$$which is similar to your steps. At this point ##C## can be any real number so ##e^C## can be any positive number, so ##\pm e^C## can be any nonzero number. So just call it a new constant ##K## and you get$$
    a+y = K\sin x$$Now put in your initial conditions.

For your first question, you are given an equation with ##du/dt## and an initial condition for u as a function of t. That suggest solving for u if you can.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook