1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Separating ions. Acceleration problem

1. Feb 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You are trying to separate 2 types of ions (fast and slow). The fast ones travel at 1000m/s and the slow ones travel at 100m/s. At the beginning you have 2 plates. One has + and the other one has negative charge. The size of the plates is 5cm and they are 3 cm apart. What will the acceleration have to be between the 2 plates that will put the fast and slow ions 2 cm apart at 50cm once out of the plates.

Remember once the ions are out of the plates, they will not accelerate any more.
    3. The attempt at a solution

I drew it out.
    The reds are the ions. The blue box at the bottom is the emitter. The 2 gray ones are the charged plates that will accelerate the ions.

Ions.gif

From what i know there will be 2 different times since the ions travel at different speeds
    For the fast one i calculated
    .5m / 1000m/s = .0005s
    for the slow one i got
    .5m / 100m/s = .005s

From here on out, i'm stuck and have no idea what to do next.
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

The key is how long the fast or the slow will be traveling through the plates..

By establishing a charge between the plates, they will be traveling across the 5 cm distance and will be accelerated (deflected) according to normal kinematics. The slower ones being between the plates will be subjected to an accelerating force for a longer interval and hence will be deflected more.

Start with how long each will be traveling across the plates and see what occurs to you remembering that as usual F = m*a.

4. Feb 7, 2009 #3
    Thank you for the feedback sir. So i got that. 5cm = .05 m

Since their initial velocity is in the Y direction during the acceleration towards X will not change the Y, I do this to find their times.
    Fast = .05m / 1000m/s = .00005s
    Slow = .05m / 100m/s = .0005s

Then i dont know where to plug it in or how. Where does the 2cm difference end up going?
    I assume i'm going to have 2 equations. One for the acceleration here and another once its out of the plates but i have no idea what formulas to use.

Since both are going to curve, i dont know what the angle in between will be which is where i'm confused.

I've never done a problem like this before so i'm confused what to do next.

5. Feb 7, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

The 2 cm distance is at 50 cm.

What component of velocity is required to get the slow ion to move farther to the right by 2 cm by the time it reaches 50 cm than the fast one?

You know V = a*t where t is the time the particle is subjected to acceleration between the plates.

That velocity times the time T to get to 50 cm at the original speed then would be the deflection I'd think for each particle. The additional constraint will be that 1 is 2 cm further along when it gets there. One distance to the right will be 2 cm more than the other.

6. Feb 9, 2009 #5
    alright so here is what i got.

position after the .05m (between plates) is
    Xf = 0ms + 0t + .5At^2

slow beam..
    Xfs = .5a(.0005s^2)
    fast beam
    Xff = .5a(.00005s^2)

Next velocity at the end
    Slow beam
    Vfs = a*.0005s
    Fast beam
    Vff = a*.00005s

Next, X2-X1 = .02m
    so
    .02m = (.5a(.0005s^2) + (a*.0005s)*.005) - (.5a(.00005s^2) + (a*.00005s)*.0005)
    A = 7696.00 m/s^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook