Engineering Problems - Acceleration Required to Separate Ions

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of designing a device to separate fast and slow moving ions. It outlines the steps taken, including bringing the ions into the device in a narrow beam, passing them between two parallel metal plates, and applying a high voltage to accelerate them towards one plate and away from the other. The equations needed to solve the problem are also mentioned. The next step is to calculate the acceleration required to ensure that the slower ions drift at least 2 cm more than the faster ones.
Erna221

Homework Statement

I'm having trouble approaching the following problem:

A research group is designing a device which will separate fast moving ions from slow moving ones. To do this, the ions are brought into the device in a narrow beam, so that all of the ions are going in the same direction. The ion beam then passes between two parallel metal plates, separated by 3 cm from each other. Each plate is 5.0 cm long and 4.0 cm wide. A high voltage is applied to the plates causing the ions passing between them to have a constant acceleration directly toward one of the plates and away from the other plate. Before the ions enter the gap between the plates, they are going directly toward the center of the gap, parallel to the surface of the plates. After the ions leave the gap between the plates, they are no longer accelerated during the 50 cm journey to the ion detector. I need to find the acceleration required to separate ions with a velocity 100 m/sec from those in the beam going 1000 m/sec by 2.0 cm.

What should I do next?

Homework Equations

I think the equations that I need to use for this problem are as follows:

1)Xfinal = Xinitial + Vinitialt + .5*a*t2
2)Vfinal = Vinitial + a*t
3)Vfinal2 = Vinitial2 + 2aΔX

The Attempt at a Solution

After I put some thought to this, I came to the conclusion that 2.0 cm is going to be the ΔY. The time that takes both kinds of ions to spend between the plates is:
For faster ions: t = .05m / 1000 m/sec = 5.0 * 10-5 sec
For slower ions: t = .05 m / 100 m/sec = 5.0 * 10-4 sec

What do I do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
All ions will drift sideways certain distance depending on the acceleration and the time they are exposed to it. The latter depends on their speed. You need to make sure that the slower ions drift at least 2 cm more than the faster ones.

1. What is the purpose of separating ions?

Separating ions is important in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, chemicals, and environmental testing. It allows for the identification and purification of specific ions, which is crucial for the development of new products and processes.

2. How is acceleration used in separating ions?

Acceleration is used to create an electric field that can cause ions to move at different velocities based on their mass and charge. This allows for the separation of ions based on their characteristics.

3. What factors affect the required acceleration for ion separation?

The required acceleration for ion separation is affected by the mass and charge of the ions, the strength of the electric field, and the distance between the electrodes. Other factors such as temperature and pressure can also play a role.

4. What techniques are commonly used for ion separation?

Some commonly used techniques for ion separation include electrophoresis, ion exchange chromatography, and mass spectrometry. These techniques utilize different principles and instruments to achieve separation.

5. What are the potential challenges in achieving the necessary acceleration for ion separation?

The main challenges in achieving the necessary acceleration for ion separation include equipment limitations, such as the strength of the electric field that can be generated, and the potential for unwanted reactions or interactions between the ions and the electric field. Additionally, the properties of the ions themselves can also present challenges, such as their ability to be ionized or their tendency to form clusters or complexes.