Separation and Potential/Kinetic Energy

In summary, the question asks for the distance between two protons when they come to a stop after being hurled at each other with an initial kinetic energy of 0.19 MeV each. Neglecting potential energy, the solution is found by setting the kinetic energy equal to the potential energy of the protons at rest, and solving for the distance using the equation (1/4 pi e0)*(q1q2/r). The error in the attempt at a solution was not multiplying the kinetic energy by 2 to account for the charge of each proton.
guitarman

Homework Statement

Two protons that are very far apart are hurled straight at each other, each with an initial kinetic energy of 0.19 MeV, where 1 mega electron volt is equal to 1106 (1.610-19) joules. What is the separation of the protons from each other when they momentarily come to a stop?

Homework Equations

Total energy = kinetic energy + potential energy
(1/4 pi e0)*(q1q2/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

So since the initial distance is very far away, we can assume that potential energy is so close to zero that it can be neglected. Therefore, due to the law of conservation of energy, when the kinetic energy is 0, the potential energy will be 0.19 MeV, or 3.044135274e-14 J. I tried setting this equal to the equation (1/4 pi e0)*(q1q2/r) and solving for r, but my answer is incorrect. Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
If this where the Physics Psychics Forum, somebody might be able to tell you what you did wrong. Why don't you tell us what you got and what numbers you put in? There is nothing wrong with your approach.

Its okay I ended up getting it right. I simply did not multiply the 0.19 MeV by 2

What is separation energy?

Separation energy refers to the amount of energy required to break apart the bonds between two or more particles or atoms, resulting in their separation. It is a measure of the strength of the attractive forces between particles.

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is the energy that an object has stored and can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object, and can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy.

How are separation energy and potential energy related?

Separation energy is a type of potential energy, as it represents the energy stored in the bonds between particles. It is a form of potential energy that is specific to the separation of particles or atoms.

What factors affect the amount of kinetic energy an object has?

The amount of kinetic energy an object has is affected by its mass and velocity. A heavier object or an object with a higher velocity will have more kinetic energy than a lighter object or an object with a lower velocity.