Separation of Multiple Universes?

In summary: Yes, this is what it sounds like.The number of event horizons would be the number of black holes in the universe.
BoltzmanBrain
Assuming that theories regarding the existence of multiple universes are true, what would separate said universes? If multiple universes exist, it can be assumed that there is some form of separation between said universes. This could be in the form of a barrier, or a kind of "space" between the universes, or both. Has there been any serious speculation regarding the topic of what exactly separates these universes?

Space news on Phys.org
There has been a good deal of research into such ideas... the first stumbling point is semantic, what exactly distinguishes multiple universes from one larger universe. I'm only familiar with eternally inflated (multi)verse theories--so my response will be relative to those.

A 'universe' (in this context) is a causally isolated region of space, i.e. it has an event horizon. This is consistent with observations, as we believe there is an event horizon at about 13.7 billion light years from us. According to eternal inflation theories, there are an infinite number of other universes out there, outside our horizon, separated from us by normal old space (which may or may not be rapidly inflating---causing or perpetuating the horizon at some point in history). There would be no 'barrier' per se, but the gap is fundamentally untraversable.

Again, I'm not very familiar with most other multiverse theories, but presumably our 3+1 dimensional universe is embedded in a higher dimensional space, and thus a 5th (e.g.) dimension separates numerous 3+1 dimensional universes... perhaps.

Hope that helps.

I agree with zhermes that this depends a lot on what you mean by multiple universes.

If you're talking about the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, then there is no separation at all. They're superposed waves.

In the context of baby universes (e.g., Smolin's cosmological natural selection), I think the baby is typically imagined as being a separate spatial manifold for a given surface of simultaneity, so that there is no space or anything else physically separating the parent and daughter universes -- they're just causally disconnected spacetimes.

The notion of 'multiple' unverses is illogical, IMO. If they are causally disconnected, they are not observationally relevant. If not causally disconnected, they are part of our observationally accessible universe - i.e., you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Since learning about causually disconnected universes beyond our own observable universe I am convinced that not only do they exist but that they are separated from us by the fact that they are flying away from us at superluminous velocities. That surely is a wall of separation that can never be breached with anything physical in this universe.

Chronos said:
The notion of 'multiple' unverses is illogical, IMO. If they are causally disconnected, they are not observationally relevant. If not causally disconnected, they are part of our observationally accessible universe - i.e., you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

For a counterexample, see Smolin's cosmological natural selection, which is a multiple-universe theory that makes testable predictions, and that was in fact falsified last year by observation, 18 years after it was proposed.

bcrowell said:
For a counterexample, see Smolin's cosmological natural selection, which is a multiple-universe theory that makes testable predictions, and that was in fact falsified last year by observation, 18 years after it was proposed.
Am I correct in assuming you are referring to detection of high mass neutron stars?

Chronos said:
Am I correct in assuming you are referring to detection of high mass neutron stars?

Yes.

zhermes said:
There has been a good deal of research into such ideas... the first stumbling point is semantic, what exactly distinguishes multiple universes from one larger universe. I'm only familiar with eternally inflated (multi)verse theories--so my response will be relative to those.

A 'universe' (in this context) is a causally isolated region of space, i.e. it has an event horizon. This is consistent with observations, as we believe there is an event horizon at about 13.7 billion light years from us. According to eternal inflation theories, there are an infinite number of other universes out there, outside our horizon, separated from us by normal old space (which may or may not be rapidly inflating---causing or perpetuating the horizon at some point in history). There would be no 'barrier' per se, but the gap is fundamentally untraversable.

Again, I'm not very familiar with most other multiverse theories, but presumably our 3+1 dimensional universe is embedded in a higher dimensional space, and thus a 5th (e.g.) dimension separates numerous 3+1 dimensional universes... perhaps.

Hope that helps.

Why are you using the term event horizon? if every black hole has an event horizon, and there are many black holes in our universe, does that not mean that the number of event horizons = the number of black holes. when i read your answer, it sounds like the expanding edge of the universe (if it is expanding) is a black hole.

the use of the phrase 'event horizon' can be correct. has anybody proved/disproved whether we are actually a singularity ourselves. nobody really knows the physics of inside a black hole where time and space are different (or same, no-one knows) compared to the outside. my point being, (almost) every term and every physical outcome may be possible until proved otherwise (assuming the mathematics holds aswell).

1. What is the concept of separation of multiple universes?

The separation of multiple universes is a theoretical concept in physics that proposes the existence of multiple parallel universes that coexist alongside our own. This theory suggests that there are infinite universes with their own distinct laws of physics, dimensions, and timelines.

2. How is separation of multiple universes different from the multiverse theory?

The multiverse theory states that there are multiple universes that exist within the same space and time, while the separation of multiple universes theory suggests that these universes are completely separate from each other and do not interact. Additionally, the separation of multiple universes theory includes the idea of branching timelines, whereas the multiverse theory does not.

3. What evidence supports the concept of separation of multiple universes?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence to support the theory of separation of multiple universes. However, some theories in quantum mechanics and cosmology, such as the Many Worlds Interpretation of quantum mechanics and the inflationary theory of the early universe, provide some support for the idea of multiple universes.

4. How does the separation of multiple universes impact our understanding of reality?

The separation of multiple universes theory challenges our understanding of reality by proposing that there are an infinite number of parallel universes with their own unique realities. This idea raises questions about the nature of existence and the role of consciousness in determining reality.

5. Can we ever prove the existence of multiple universes?

At this time, it is not possible to prove or disprove the existence of multiple universes. The concept of separation of multiple universes remains a theoretical concept with no experimental evidence. However, advancements in technology and further research in physics may one day provide more insight into the possibility of multiple universes.