Seperating Mixtures, changes in Weight

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculations of the percentage of sand and salt in a mixture, based on the results of separating them. Part c) raises the question of why the total weight of the separated substances is not equal to the initial weight of the mixture. This could be due to human error in measurements or the separation process itself, which may result in an increase in overall weight.
oray

Homework Statement

You start with 10.00 g of sand/salt mixture. suppose you end up with 4.52g of sand and 5.9g of salt.

a) calculate the % sand and salt based only on the sand result: "4.52 g sand means there must have been 5.48g of salt"

b) do the same using only the salt result: "5.9g salt means there must be 4.1g of sand"

c) suggest some likely reasons why your total is not the 10.00g you started with

Homework Equations

I've figured out part a) and b) with relative ease, but i don't even know where to begin with part c.

The Attempt at a Solution

one reason could just be human error in measurements, but i don't think that's what my teachers looking for. That is as far as I've gotten.
Perhaps there is some reason why the overall weight of two substances would increase after they are separated?

Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to think along the lines of the separating process i.e. how are they separated.

There are a few potential reasons why the total weight is not the same as the initial weight:

1. Loss of material during the separation process: It is possible that some of the mixture was lost during the separation process, resulting in a lower total weight. This could be due to spills, incomplete separation, or errors in measurement.

2. Incomplete separation: If the mixture was not fully separated, there may still be some sand or salt remaining in the other component, resulting in a higher total weight. This could happen if the separation method used was not effective enough, or if there were impurities in the mixture that made separation difficult.

3. Chemical reactions: It is possible that some chemical reactions occurred during the separation process, resulting in a change in the weight of the components. For example, if the salt and sand were heated during separation, some of the salt may have decomposed, resulting in a change in weight.

4. Moisture: If the mixture contained any moisture, it is possible that some of it evaporated during the separation process, resulting in a lower total weight.

It is important to carefully consider all possible factors and sources of error when conducting experiments and analyzing results.

1. How do you separate a mixture?

There are several methods for separating mixtures, including filtration, distillation, chromatography, and evaporation. The specific method used depends on the physical and chemical properties of the components in the mixture.

2. What is the purpose of separating mixtures?

The purpose of separating mixtures is to isolate the individual components in order to study or use them separately. This can also be done to remove impurities or to purify a substance.

3. How does separating a mixture affect the weight of the components?

Separating a mixture does not change the weight of the components. The total weight of the components before separation is equal to the total weight of the components after separation.

4. Can changes in weight occur during the separation process?

Yes, changes in weight can occur during the separation process. This can happen if one of the components in the mixture undergoes a chemical reaction or if there is a loss of mass due to evaporation or filtration.

5. What are some common applications of separating mixtures?

Separating mixtures is used in a variety of applications, including in the food and beverage industry, in environmental testing, and in scientific research. It is also used in everyday tasks such as purifying water and separating recycling materials.