(Serbia) Just squaring won't work

• Thread starter Dinheiro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: So, the answer it's just one.In summary, the conversation discusses a difficult algebraic equation involving square roots and attempts to solve it using various methods. Eventually, a solution is found by making a substitution and using trigonometric identities. The conversation also mentions the use of computer algebra packages to find all the roots of the equation, but only one of them is relevant to the original problem.
Dinheiro

Homework Statement

Find the real solution [itex] x = \sqrt{2+\sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+x}}} [/itex]

Homework Equations

Algebric equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find some kind of recurrence by expanding as follows:
x = [itex]\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+x}}} [/itex]
[itex] 2 - x = 2 -\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+x}}} [/itex]
[itex]\sqrt{2-x} = \sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+x}}}} [/itex]
then
[itex]2+\sqrt{2-x} = 2 + \sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+x}}}} [/itex]
[itex]\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2-x}} = \sqrt{2 + \sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+x}}}}} [/itex]
but I couldn't identify any, so I tried some substitutions and no solution yet :p
How should I do this?
Note: no calculators allowed

Physics news on Phys.org
Just out of curiosity, what does Serbia have to do with this?

It is a Serbian olympic question. I thought indicating its origin would help finding a solution though

Dinheiro said:

Homework Statement

Find the real solution [itex] x = \sqrt{2+\sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+x}}} [/itex]

Homework Equations

Algebric equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find some kind of recurrence by expanding as follows:
x = [itex]\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+x}}} [/itex]
[itex] 2 - x = 2 -\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+x}}} [/itex]
[itex]\sqrt{2-x} = \sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+x}}}} [/itex]
then
[itex]2+\sqrt{2-x} = 2 + \sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+x}}}} [/itex]
[itex]\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2-x}} = \sqrt{2 + \sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+x}}}}} [/itex]
but I couldn't identify any, so I tried some substitutions and no solution yet :p
How should I do this?
Note: no calculators allowed

You can analyze some general properties of the solution, but getting the solution itself is challenging. Let ##f(x) = \sqrt{2+\sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+x}}}##, so the equation is ##x = f(x)##. In order for all square roots defining f(x) to be real, we need ##2 \geq \sqrt{x+2}##, hence ##x \leq 2##. Also, ##f(x) \geq \sqrt{2}## (because ##f(x) = \sqrt{2 + \text{something} \geq 0}##) , so ##x \geq \sqrt{2}##. Note that ##f(\sqrt{2}) > \sqrt{2}## and ##f(2) = \sqrt{2} < 2## so there IS a root between ##\sqrt{2}## and ##2##.

Getting an exact root can be done, but I don't see how without using a computer algebra package. Squaring DOES work, but it introduces 7 extraneous roots that are not part of the original problem.
[tex] x = f(x) \: \Longrightarrow x^2-2 = \sqrt{2 - \sqrt{2+x}} \: \Longrightarrow
(x^2-2)^2 = 2 - \sqrt{2+x} \: \longrightarrow x+2 = (2 - (x^2-2)^2)^2[/tex]
This is a polynomial equation of degree 8. Packages like Maple or Mathematica can find all the roots, but they are complicated. Only one of the roots lies in the region ##[\sqrt{2},2]##.

Last edited:
I have been at this problem for about half an hour now, and couldn't deduce much beyond what you said, Ray. But I am curious to know how you deduced there is only one root in the region [itex][\sqrt 2,2][/itex]. I think there is at least one other real root(assuming the others are complex), which may be in that range, right?

Infinitum said:
I have been at this problem for about half an hour now, and couldn't deduce much beyond what you said, Ray. But I am curious to know how you deduced there is only one root in the region [itex][\sqrt 2,2][/itex]. I think there is at least one other real root(assuming the others are complex), which may be in that range, right?
You can determine that any real root must be in that interval by considering the following.

You have ##\ \sqrt{2+x} \ ## and ##\ \sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+x}\,}\,. \ ## Right?

Dude, I have spent like 2 hours in it and I am really considering to explode this book now. The worst part is this question is at the easy exercises page of the chapter

Last edited:
#%$&(@&*$, I got it! just take x = 2cos(y)

Last edited:
What a relief! But this exercise is at factorizations chapter, I wonder if there is a solution by factoring this monster

Dinheiro said:
Motherf**, I got it! just take x = 2cos(y)

Would you mind sharing your solution? I'm not seeing it.

Ok
[itex] x = \sqrt{2+\sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+2cosy}}} [/itex]
note that
2 + 2cosy = 2(1 + cosy)
and cosy = 2cos²(y/2) -1
so 2 + 2cosy = 4cos²(y/2)
Now, we have
[itex] x = \sqrt{2+\sqrt{2-2cos(y/2)}} [/itex]
analogously 2 - 2 cos(y/2) = 4sin(y/4)
[itex] x = \sqrt{2+2sin(y/4)} [/itex]
Finally, x = 2cos(y/8) <=> 2cos(y) = 2 cos(y/8)
y = 2pi/9
x = 2cos(2pi/9)

xD

Infinitum said:

By finding all the roots and evaluating them numerically. Alternatively, plot f(x) and x in the range [√2,2]. All eight roots of the polynomial are real, but 7 of them are extraneous to the original problem. All work done in Maple.

SammyS said:
You can determine that any real root must be in that interval by considering the following.

You have ##\ \sqrt{2+x} \ ## and ##\ \sqrt{2-\sqrt{2+x}\,}\,. \ ## Right?

My point exactly. Which is why I was confused when Ray said only one real root lies in that interval, I believe there at least need to be two.

Ray Vickson said:
This is a polynomial equation of degree 8. Packages like Maple or Mathematica can find all the roots, but they are complicated. Only one of the roots lies in the region ##[\sqrt{2},2]##.

Dinheiro said:
#%$&(@&*$, I got it! just take x = 2cos(y)

I tried that earlier in my attempt. The substitution does yield a 'neat' looking equation, but I don't see how to reach a numerical answer for x without the use of calculators/tables. Could you please share how?

Infinitum said:
My point exactly. Which is why I was confused when Ray said only one real root lies in that interval, I believe there at least need to be two.

I tried that earlier in my attempt. The substitution does yield a 'neat' looking equation, but I don't see how to reach a numerical answer for x without the use of calculators/tables. Could you please share how?

The function ##f(x)## is strictly decreasing on the interval ##[\sqrt{2},2]## (from the derivative), while the function ##x## is strictly increasing on that interval. There is only one root.

Ray Vickson said:
By finding all the roots and evaluating them numerically. Alternatively, plot f(x) and x in the range [√2,2]. All eight roots of the polynomial are real, but 7 of them are extraneous to the original problem. All work done in Maple.

Ray Vickson said:
The function ##f(x)## is strictly decreasing on the interval ##[\sqrt{2},2]## (from the derivative), while the function ##x## is strictly increasing on that interval. There is only one root.

That makes sense, thanks Ray.

As a side note, I should start using one of these softwares soon :tongue2:

Dinheiro said:
[itex] x = \sqrt{2+2sin(y/4)} [/itex]
Finally, x = 2cos(y/8)

The expressions of x in the two lines aren't equal. That, or I'm doing some trigonometric errors that are embarrassingly silly. :redface:

Infinitum said:

After repeatedly squaring, you can simplify out a first-order factor and get an odd -number order polynomial equal to zero.

ehild

At the step

[tex]2\cos y = \sqrt{2+2\sin\frac{y}{4}}[/tex]

squaring and then using the double angle identity

[tex]\cos^2\alpha = \frac{1}{2}\left(1+\cos{2\alpha}\right)[/tex]

yields

[tex]\cos{2y} = \sin{\frac{y}{4}}[/tex]

And I can't proceed.

Mentallic said:
At the step

[tex]2\cos y = \sqrt{2+2\sin\frac{y}{4}}[/tex]

squaring and then using the double angle identity

[tex]\cos^2\alpha = \frac{1}{2}\left(1+\cos{2\alpha}\right)[/tex]

yields

[tex]\cos{2y} = \sin{\frac{y}{4}}[/tex]

And I can't proceed.

[tex]\cos{2y} = \sin{(\pi/2\pm2y +2k\pi)}=\sin{\frac{y}{4}}[/tex]

ehild

Of course! :blushing:

What does "(Serbia) Just squaring won't work" mean?

"(Serbia) Just squaring won't work" is a popular phrase used in scientific research, particularly in the field of mathematics. It refers to the idea that simply taking the square of a number or equation will not solve a problem or provide an accurate result.

Why is "(Serbia) Just squaring won't work" important in scientific research?

Understanding why just squaring a number or equation won't work is crucial in scientific research because it allows researchers to find more accurate and effective methods for solving problems and obtaining results. It also helps to avoid common mistakes and assumptions in mathematical calculations.

What are some examples of when "(Serbia) Just squaring won't work" applies?

(Serbia) Just squaring won't work" can apply in various situations in scientific research. One example is in the calculation of probabilities, where taking the square of a probability will not give an accurate result. Another example is in finding the distance between two points on a graph, where simply squaring the coordinates will not provide the correct distance.

Can "(Serbia) Just squaring won't work" be applied to other mathematical operations?

Yes, the phrase "(Serbia) Just squaring won't work" can be applied to other mathematical operations as well. It is often used as a general reminder to scientists and mathematicians to think critically and not rely on a single operation to solve a problem.

How can I avoid falling into the trap of "(Serbia) Just squaring won't work" in my research?

To avoid falling into the trap of "(Serbia) Just squaring won't work" in your research, it is important to have a thorough understanding of the mathematical operations you are using and to think critically about the problem at hand. It is also helpful to consult with colleagues and experts in the field to ensure accuracy in your calculations.