1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Series Convergence/Divergence Problem

1. Feb 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Does the series converge or diverge? Give reason for your answer; if it converges, find its sum.

[tex]\infty\sum[/tex] n=0 [tex]\frac{(-1)^{(n+1)} * 3 - 1}{2^n}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

If |r|<1, the geometric series converges to a/(1-r). If |r|> or = 1, it diverges.

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\infty\sum[/tex] n=1 [tex]\frac{(-1)^{(n+1)} * 3}{2^n}[/tex] <---- This is a very similar problem that I was able to figure out.

In this problem, it's a geometric series that converges to 1 (with a sum of [tex]\frac{(3/2)}{1-(-1/2)}[/tex].

However, this particular problem has two differences. One is the -1 on top, which shouldn't matter as n-> infinity since it's so small. The other difference is it starts at zero, so I'm not sure if the above equation (in part "b") is relevant, with a/(1-r). I tried finding an "a" and got -4, but I'm not sure what to do about the r, besides assuming that the 3 and -1 don't matter:

Then I'd get (-1)^n+1 / 2^n which would be 1/2 = r. Help?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Fixed your LaTeX. You can see what I did by double-clicking the summations.

4. Feb 15, 2010 #3
    Ah, thank you!

5. Feb 15, 2010 #4

Mark44

I would expand the summation to see how close it is to the summation you've already worked with.

6. Feb 15, 2010 #5
    In terms of the series itself, the ACTUAL series I'm working with (with the extra -1) gets closer to zero more slowly than the other.

I can't use the comparison, ratio/root, or integral tests on this either. Only the geometric series formula.

So, in other words...

The top term oscillates between 2 and -4 and the bottom goes to infinity, thus Lim (n -> infinity) = 0 so the series converges to SOME number, correct so far?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  7. Feb 15, 2010 #6

Mark44

If you expand the series you'll see that it is a geometric series. What do the first four or five terms of this series look like?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook