1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series involving trig functions

1. Jun 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Answers for part I are circled, here's parts II-IV.

Any help would be appreciated. This is a very important homework, as you can tell by the title.

If the pics are too small, download them and zoom in, or use the FF extension ImageZoom.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

2) Derive a taylor series centered at x= pi/3 and just keep summing terms. You will know you have 4 places accuracy when after summing a certain number of terms for 4 places are still the same, or also when the terms become smaller than 0.0001.

3) You have the right working and series, but it seems you subbed in x=2 instead of x= 0.2.
  4. Jun 9, 2007 #3
    2. I did. I made an Excel thing to find the sums, and it converged to -0.617209760262333. The actual value of cos(63º) is 0.4539905. I can't figure out what's wrong...
    Edit: I was doing it in degrees. I got it now.

3. Ah, thanks.

Can anyone help me with Part II B and Part IV?
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  5. Jun 9, 2007 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

IV) Lets do a and b first.

A) Just use the definition of a Maclaurin series, not hard to sub in.

B) Using that series for f(x), change the variable to t, integrate term by term.
  6. Jun 10, 2007 #5
    I did that (see above pics), and it looks right. But part C doesn't work. If I set -2ak=1, and 2a²k/3=1, a comes out to be -1/3 and k=3/2. That doesnt work for the third term...
  7. Jun 10, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Try this approach:

[itex]f(x)=6e^{-x/3}, f'(x)=-2e^{-x/3}[/itex]

[tex]kf'(ax) = -2k \cdot e^{-ax/3}[/tex]

Now for the LHS, you should recognise thats the taylor series for e^x.

Now you just have to solve [itex]e^x = -2k \cdot e^{-ax/3}[/tex]
  8. Jun 10, 2007 #7
    Ok, with that, I got k=-1/2, and a=-3. Right...?
  9. Jun 10, 2007 #8

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Aww come on mate you don't need to be spoon fed like this :P Substituting those into the RHS of what I left you to solve, you can see that it is correct = ] but next time i want something more like:

" I got k=-1/2 and a=-3 which works out, yay!!"
  10. Jun 10, 2007 #9
    Ok, thanks for the help everyone. Well, actually, just Gib Z, but whatever :).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?