Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Serre Spectral Sequence. Motivation

1. Feb 13, 2008 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi, everyone. I don't know if this is the right forum, here it goes:

I have been reading on Serre's spectral sequence (Wiki, Hatcher). I understand the general goal, but I don't get well the process:

how does a fibration F->E->B

give rise to a spectral sequence?.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2008 #2

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess I should be less impulsive in my posting: I just remembered that the base

B is assumed a CW-complex, and that we consider the fiber of the n-skeleton,

and this fiber somehow has the structure of a filtered chain complex. we somehow

define in this filtered complex, a differential. Then we just have a filtered chain complex,

and we follow the recipe for it .Still, the details are fuzzy.

Also: what are the general ingredients for a spectral sequence?. We start with

a sheet E_ro (ro=0,1,2, usually, ABAIK---Asbestos I know), then the next sheet

is isomorphic to the homology of E_ro, and we then go on, until the sheets converge

(we assume the sheets are non-zero only in the first quadrant, so that we run out

of groups as we approach the quadrants.)

Anyway, I would appreciate some comments, both on the Serre spectral, and

in general for spectral sequences.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?