1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Set of all the limit points of Set E. Prove that its closed.

1. Aug 30, 2010 #1
    Is it correct to make the following statement?

If a point x in E is not a limit point of E, then any neighborhood V of x will--at most--contain finitely many points of E.

Thus, its possible for V to contain only one point, namely, x.

Thanks,

M

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2010 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The usual definition of a limit point is as follows
    Negating that statement: a point x in X is not a limit point of S, if there exists an open set containing x, but no other points of S.

If you think about a metric space (as I like to do, because I have good intuition for those), this is like saying that x is some finite distance away from all other points, so you will never find a Cauchy sequence converging to it.

I think your statement is not necessarily true, as you can take V = E (let the neighbourhood be all of the space) and E in general contains infinitely many points.*

* I was wondering if [itex]X = (0, 1) \cup \{ 2 \}[/itex] is a counterexample... at first I thought X is not a neighbourhood of 2, but then I was wondering if {2} is not an open set in the inherited topology (it is (1.5, 2.5) intersected with X, for example) which would make X a neighbourhood... it's been a long time since I did topology, so I'm in doubt now

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  4. Aug 30, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

You can actually say a bit more than that- there exist (not just "it is possible") a neighborhood, V, of x that contains only the single point x of E.

Take any neighborhood, U, of x. Since it contains only a finite number of points of E in U, there exist a point, y, in E and U, other than x, such that d(x, y) is minimum. Take V to be the ball about x with radius less than d(x,y).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook