Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set of points in S^3, way to show spaced equal or not?

1. Mar 20, 2015 #1
    In an earlier post here I wanted to chop up a three-sphere into cubes, Ben suspected it was not possible and I have no reason to think otherwise. From earlier help by Fezro, here, I may be able to move this forward. Assuming the posts by Fezro are correct I think I can come up with a set of points in S^3 that a computer program could check the angles and distances between nearby points. Let a set of points in S^3 be given by the following

P(a,b,c)

= [itex]exp(i[σ_1(2πa/n)+σ_2(2πb/n)+σ_3(2πc/n)]) \begin{pmatrix}
    1 \\
    0\\
    \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}
    z_1(a,b,c) \\
    z_2(a,b,c)\\
    \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

where a, b, and c are integers and vary independently from 0 to n (n is some integer), [itex]σ_1,σ_2,σ_3[/itex] are the Pauli matrices, and [itex]z_1(a,b,c)[/itex] and [itex]z_2(a,b,c)[/itex] give us the coordinates x, z, y, and w of the point P(a,b,c) in R^4.

Should it be straightforward to use the above with a computer to determine angles and distances between nearest neighbors? Can the exponential above be simplified or can a computer program easily handle the exponential? Is there a clever way to show that in fact nearest neighbor points above are not equally spaced?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2015 #2
    If I had defined my set of points using the spin down spinor,

\begin{pmatrix}
    0 \\
    1\\
    \end{pmatrix}

would there be a fundamental difference between the two sets of points? Could one set of points be rotated into the other set?

Thanks for any help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook