Setting the trace of a tensor equal to zero

In summary, the homework statement is that the trace of a tensor is zero if and only if the tensor has the following components in a given orthonormal basis of R3: a(x2)xixj + b(x2) \deltaij x2 + c(x2) \epsilonijk xk.
EsmeeDijk

Homework Statement

A tensor t has the following components in a given orthonormal basis of R3

tij(x) = a(x2)xixj + b(x2) \deltaij x2 + c(x2) \epsilonijk xk (1)​
where the indices i,j,k = 1, 2, 3.
We use the Einstein summation convention. We will only consider orthogonal transformations on R3; therefore we will not make a distinction between upper and lower indices.
a,b,c are real functions of x2 := xixi, i.e. a = a(x2) depends on xi through the rotationally-symmetric combination xixi only.
The trace of the tensor t is defined as:
Tr(t) = tii (2)​

1. Calculate the trace (2) and set it to zero, i.e. find a constraint among the functions a,b,c such that Tr(t) = 0 for all x.

Homework Equations

We only need to use equation (1) and (2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the indices go from 1 to 3 we have to do t11 + t22 + t33 = 0
So the index i has to be equal to j. We get:
a(x2)x1x1 + b(x2)x2 + a(x2)x2x2 + b(x2)x2 + a(x2)x3x3 + b(x2)x2
The kronecker delta after the b is going to be one in every case so we can leave it out. The epsilon tensor in the part with c will be zero because we won't be able to get 3 different numbers, making the entire part with c 0.
We can now simplify to :
x2(a(x1)2 + a(x2)2 + a(x3)2 + 3b(x2)) = 0
So either x2 = 0
or (a(x1)2 + a(x2)2 + a(x3)2 + 3b(x2) = 0

So x = 0 or (a(x1)2 + a(x2)2 + a(x3)2 = -3b(x2)

Now my question is, is it the case that x1, x2 and x3 will they become just a normal x together?
such that we will have ax2 = -3bx2
a = -3b

Physics news on Phys.org
EsmeeDijk said:
x2 := xixi
This should already contain the answer to your question.

Contract your tensor equation with [itex]\delta_{ij}[/itex] and set it equal to zero.
[tex]\mbox{Tr}(T) = \delta_{ij}T_{ij} = 0, \ \Rightarrow \ a = - 3b.[/tex]
So
[tex]T_{ij} = -3b X_{i}X_{j} + b X^{2} \delta_{ij} + c \ \epsilon_{ijk} X_{k},[/tex]
with [itex]b[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex] are arbitrary functions of the invariant [itex]X^{2}[/itex].

Likes EsmeeDijk
Never mind, others already reacted while I was composing my post.

1. What does it mean to set the trace of a tensor equal to zero?

Setting the trace of a tensor equal to zero means that the sum of the values along the main diagonal of the tensor is equal to zero. This is often used in mathematical and scientific calculations to simplify equations and make them more manageable.

2. Why would someone want to set the trace of a tensor equal to zero?

There are several reasons why someone may want to set the trace of a tensor equal to zero. One reason is that it can help to simplify complex equations and make them easier to solve. It can also help to highlight certain properties or relationships within the tensor.

3. Can the trace of any tensor be set to zero?

No, not all tensors can have their trace set to zero. In order for this to be possible, the tensor must be square (i.e. have the same number of rows and columns) and have a main diagonal with all zero values. If these conditions are not met, it is not possible to set the trace to zero.

4. What are some applications of setting the trace of a tensor equal to zero?

Setting the trace of a tensor to zero has many applications across various fields of science and mathematics. For example, it is commonly used in physics to simplify equations in relativity and quantum mechanics. It is also used in engineering and computer science for tasks such as image or signal processing.

5. Is setting the trace of a tensor equal to zero the same as setting the tensor itself to zero?

No, setting the trace of a tensor equal to zero is not the same as setting the tensor itself to zero. When the trace is set to zero, only the values along the main diagonal of the tensor are affected. The other values in the tensor may still have non-zero values. Setting the tensor itself to zero means that all values in the tensor are set to zero.