Shaky model in least squares fit

In summary, the problem with the least squares fit is that the systematic error is much larger than the error due to noise. The F-test can help to verify how significant this is.
Gigaz
I've come across a problem with my least squares fits and I think someone else must have analyzed this, but I don't know where to find it.

I have a converged least squares fit of my spectroscopic data. Unfortunately, the physical model, on which the fit is based, is mediocre. The deviations between measurement and model are much larger than the statistical errors at each data point. There is almost certainly nothing I can do about that. The fit reproduces the data reasonably well, but the model is incomplete.

I know that there are some parameters inside the model, which do not seem to be very robust. If I fit only half of my data (only s or only p polarization), they always come out differently. Other parameters remain totally unchanged.

I'm looking basically for an idea on how I could quantify this "robustness". It can probably been done based on some sort of artificial perturbation function, but I haven't seen anything like that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gigaz, welcome to PF,

Apparently your systematic error (error with respect to the proposed model) is much larger than the error due to noise.
To quantify that we can divide the variance in the systematic errors by the variance of the noise.
This is called the F-value.
We can use the F-test to verify how significant this is with the hypothesis that a proposed regression model fits the data well.

For the record, a least squares method assumes that the errors are independent, normally distributed, have equal variance everywhere, and have expectation zero.
The F-test can verify part of those assumptions.

Likes Gigaz and berkeman
A case of data in search of a model, it seems. You can apply the same data to different models, and see how that changes the fit. For example, you can fix one coefficient at a time, and re-estimate the remaining parameters.

Likes Gigaz
Many thanks for those suggestions. I will try it and see what comes out :)

Thanks, chiro. Apparently, what I need is listed in your link: The Akaike information criterion.

1. What is a shaky model in least squares fit?

A shaky model in least squares fit refers to a model that does not accurately represent the relationship between the independent and dependent variables. This can lead to a poor fit and unreliable results.

2. How can you identify a shaky model in least squares fit?

A shaky model can be identified by plotting the residuals (the differences between the observed and predicted values) against the predicted values. If the residuals show a pattern or trend, it indicates that the model is not capturing all of the information in the data and is therefore shaky.

3. What are the consequences of using a shaky model in least squares fit?

Using a shaky model in least squares fit can lead to incorrect conclusions and predictions, as well as a lack of understanding of the true relationship between the variables. It can also result in a lack of confidence in the results and potential errors in decision-making.

4. How can a shaky model be improved in least squares fit?

A shaky model can be improved by including more relevant variables, transforming the data, or using a different model altogether. It is important to carefully evaluate and test different models to determine the best fit for the data.

5. What steps can be taken to avoid a shaky model in least squares fit?

To avoid a shaky model in least squares fit, it is important to carefully select and evaluate the variables being included in the model. It is also necessary to check for assumptions of the least squares method, such as linearity and homoscedasticity, and make adjustments if needed. Additionally, using cross-validation techniques can help to validate the model's performance and reduce the risk of a shaky fit.