Uncertainty of coefficients after a least square fit

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
sth
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Fitting data to a linear function (y=a0+a1*x) with least square gives the coefficients a0 and a1. I am having trouble with calculating the uncertainty of a0. I understand that the diagonal elements of the covariance matrix C is the square of the uncertainty of each coefficient if there are no off-diagonal elements. But what is the uncertainty of a0 if there are off-diagonal elements?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello sth, :welcome:

Found your answers and a good reference in this thread

[edit] on second thought: the errors are the diagonal elements. The off-diagonal elements come in when you evaluate expressions where both coefficients appear and you want the uncertainty in the result.
 
Hi BvU,
Thank you for welcoming and the reference. Seems like Eq 22 of Kirchner's note is what I was looking for.