1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shankar, Feynman, Griffiths and Resnick?

1. Dec 2, 2014 #1
    I know there are a lot of similar questions here but just hear me out.
    I am going to start self-studying quantum mechanics in a few days. I think I am going to use the MIT quantum mechanics 1 lectures as a starting point. But books will be essential as I spend most of my time in school. I have squared in on Shankar, Feynman Lectures Book 3, Resnick, and Griffiths as my books. Budget is not a problem as I could find cheap editions available here.
    My questions are :
    1) In what sequence should I read them so that I can have a good understanding of quantum mechanics and at the same time, a good amount of mathematical prowess? Or should I read them in parallel with each other.
    2) I don't have a complete understanding of linear algebra. I understand stuff like determinants and matrices, but not very proficient in eigenvectors and eigenvalues. Is the linear algebra given in Shankar enough? Or should I master the text by Gilbert Strang?
    3) How much of knowledge of differential equations do I need? I have read the first book by Apostol, so I am comfortable with stuff like linear second order differential equations but don't know the complex topics such as Legendre equations.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2014 #2
    It sounds to me like you are prepared enough for Shankar. Most books will explain methods of solving differential equations like separation of variables and solution by power series.

4. Dec 4, 2014 #3
    Eisberg Resnick should be first; Griffith next; Shankar last. Linear algebra preparation does not require Strang nor Calculus Apostol. Math rigor should be second to math facility and comfort. Rigor can come later. Any good book in Linear algebra that addresses is good. Thomas's Calculus is adequate until Griffith. You will need to know how to solve partial differential equations ( a good math methods course with Arfken & Weber, Boas, or Butkov is important).

5. Dec 6, 2014 #4
    Thanks!! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted