1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shape to the data that is showing

1. Jul 29, 2013 #1
    I have a google spreadsheet with a display of numbers from a report that is ordered and the link below is the result of this data.

It seems to me that there is a shape to the data that is showing. This shape seams to be constant over time having the same shape with a leading edge on the left and a lagging edge on the right.

I believe that most of the activity is in the middle of the shape. How can I determine the load of each column that shows which columns are likely to result next?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajurt2allTaddElHTGZyalZ0aDhpbDBSd1B6UWNoWmc&usp=sharing [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I'm sure it is possible to find some function which somehow gives those lines of data (each column is one measurement?), but without any model for the data this is just guesswork and won't tell you much.

4. Jul 29, 2013 #3
    Not sure what you mean without any Model

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  5. Jul 29, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Well, let's look at an example:
    3, 5, 7, how does the series continue?

9, 11, 13, 15, 17... would be an option. But if my series is "all odd prime numbers", this is wrong, and the series continues with 11, 13, 17 without the 9 and 15.

Data points are not sufficient to find (and verify) the correct pattern behind them. It really helps if you know where the numbers come from - what do you expect from those numbers, are there upper and lower bounds to them and so on.

6. Jul 29, 2013 #5
    Thanks anyway
    Link closed

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook