Shape to the data that is showing

In summary, the conversation discusses a google spreadsheet with ordered numbers from a report and the possibility of finding a function to determine the load of each column. However, without a model for the data, this is just guesswork. The conversation also uses an example to illustrate the importance of understanding the context and pattern behind the data points. The link to the spreadsheet is then closed.
msticky
I have a google spreadsheet with a display of numbers from a report that is ordered and the link below is the result of this data.

It seems to me that there is a shape to the data that is showing. This shape seams to be constant over time having the same shape with a leading edge on the left and a lagging edge on the right.

I believe that most of the activity is in the middle of the shape. How can I determine the load of each column that shows which columns are likely to result next?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajurt2allTaddElHTGZyalZ0aDhpbDBSd1B6UWNoWmc&usp=sharing

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm sure it is possible to find some function which somehow gives those lines of data (each column is one measurement?), but without any model for the data this is just guesswork and won't tell you much.

Not sure what you mean without any Model

Last edited:
Well, let's look at an example:
3, 5, 7, how does the series continue?

9, 11, 13, 15, 17... would be an option. But if my series is "all odd prime numbers", this is wrong, and the series continues with 11, 13, 17 without the 9 and 15.

Data points are not sufficient to find (and verify) the correct pattern behind them. It really helps if you know where the numbers come from - what do you expect from those numbers, are there upper and lower bounds to them and so on.

Thanks anyway
Link closed

1. What does "shape to the data" mean?

Shape to the data refers to the process of analyzing and visualizing data in a way that accurately represents its underlying structure and patterns. This can involve using various statistical techniques and data visualization tools to transform raw data into a more meaningful and understandable format.

2. How do you determine the appropriate shape for a given dataset?

The appropriate shape for a dataset depends on various factors such as the type of data, the research question, and the desired outcome. Scientists typically use statistical methods and data visualization techniques to explore the data and determine the most suitable shape for analysis and interpretation.

3. What are some common shapes used to represent data?

Some common shapes used to represent data include histograms, scatter plots, line graphs, bar charts, and pie charts. Each shape has its own strengths and limitations, and the choice of shape depends on the type of data and the research question.

4. Can the shape of data change over time?

Yes, the shape of data can change over time. This can happen due to various factors such as changes in the underlying patterns, new data being added, or changes in the way the data is collected. It is important for scientists to regularly monitor and update the shape of data to ensure accurate analysis and interpretation.

5. How does the shape of data impact the conclusions drawn from analysis?

The shape of data can significantly impact the conclusions drawn from analysis. For example, if the data is skewed or has outliers, it can lead to inaccurate conclusions and misinterpretations. On the other hand, a well-shaped dataset can provide more reliable and meaningful insights.