Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

  • Thread starter Thread starter micromass
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Animal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3,073 replies · 328K views
AlexCaledin said:
OMG! HAHA Want to meet those ducks atleast once!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a video of a playful platypus.
I am guessing it is a female, since the males have vemonous spurs in their hind legs.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn and DennisN
Here is a cute picture of a preying mantis wearing R-G 3-D glasses.
mantis_16x9.jpg


Also, they only use movement information to computer 3-D location.
 
Attachments
  • mantis_16x9.jpg
    mantis_16x9.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 627
BillTre said:
Is that bird auto-decoration or a way to carry building materials back to a nest?
It's dressing itself! :biggrin:

(Actually I'm not sure. I don't know much about birds. o0))
 
This may have been posted before, but I can't remember...
A parrot tries to fit in with cats :smile:.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, Borg, collinsmark and 2 others
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRE0EI2eS9uInFoH-xsMq6eHNFDdpfFzdAzhKIfosVbOXM-n-QHYg.jpg
 
Attachments
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRE0EI2eS9uInFoH-xsMq6eHNFDdpfFzdAzhKIfosVbOXM-n-QHYg.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRE0EI2eS9uInFoH-xsMq6eHNFDdpfFzdAzhKIfosVbOXM-n-QHYg.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 1,037
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, Rx7man and phinds
Here are some of my babies, adolescents, the bull (a 2500 lb baby)
20180408_111737.jpg
20180327_142025.jpg
20180324_121757.jpg
20180306_101827.jpg
20180321_181406.jpg
20180406_105123.jpg
 
Attachments
  • 20180408_111737.jpg
    20180408_111737.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 647
  • 20180327_142025.jpg
    20180327_142025.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 686
  • 20180324_121757.jpg
    20180324_121757.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 667
  • 20180306_101827.jpg
    20180306_101827.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 659
  • 20180321_181406.jpg
    20180321_181406.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 708
  • 20180406_105123.jpg
    20180406_105123.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 652
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, berkeman and BillTre
DennisN said:
My old martial arts instructor never cared much for that phrase. He would counter it with "Whatever doesn't kill you, . . might still permanently maim and cripple you."

(It was a caution against underestimation and carelessness.)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Rx7man and DennisN
collinsmark said:
My old martial arts instructor never cared much for that phrase. He would counter it with "Whatever doesn't kill you, . . might still permanently maim and cripple you."

(It was a caution against underestimation and carelessness.)
Reminds me of a pun my Latin teacher once said: Better 5 minutes a coward than lifelong a dead.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dagmar, Rx7man and DennisN
Rx7man said:
Here are some of my babies, adolescents, the bull (a 2500 lb baby)
You forgot to post a picture of your dog! :smile:

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/30730051_2211816415502797_1165854780711501824_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=bedef307c5ba9c0199f4da3d78d13d17&oe=5B63E935
30730051_2211816415502797_1165854780711501824_n.jpg
 
Attachments
  • 30730051_2211816415502797_1165854780711501824_n.jpg
    30730051_2211816415502797_1165854780711501824_n.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 480
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn and Rx7man
hqdefault.jpg


don't you wish you could be in a harem, oh great lion of the dunes, haha
 
Attachments
  • hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 634
How cute is this one? Would so love to have one at home.
lemurian.jpg
 
Attachments
  • lemurian.jpg
    lemurian.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 546
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter and DennisN
Why a duck?

duck.jpg


This house (not mine!) is a block away from the college pond, which hosts some ducks and geese. I have no idea why this one decided to wander over here. I've seen it sitting under this property's hedge a few times during the past week, and just now under their car. No sign of a nest, as far as I can tell.
 
Attachments
  • duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 545
@berkeman I don't have a dog.. though I guess that would be mine if I did

lickings, scratchings,.. calf is in heaven!
20180425_190947.jpg


Zecca is VERY sleepy.. passed out and oblivious to the world


Sigma *just* had her calf here.. didn't know what to do with it.. Then she remembered she has to lick something.. I was the recipient of it.. After a while she started to pay attention to the calf, and nearly licked the skin off his back.. (he had a sore spot!)


Here's a bunch of the yearlings doing some lawnmowing for me
20180418_162018.jpg

Found a Northern Alligator lizard on the road.. brought it home and put it in a rock pile where there's less traffic
20180428_111857.jpg
 
Attachments
  • 20180425_190947.jpg
    20180425_190947.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 510
  • 20180428_111857.jpg
    20180428_111857.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 587
  • 20180428_111857.jpg
    20180428_111857.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 465
  • 20180418_162018.jpg
    20180418_162018.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 933
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter, berkeman and fresh_42
Psinter said:
Are those cows? I've never seen that animal before.
Except for the lizard, yes, they're cows.
 
Psinter said:
Are those cows? I've never seen that animal before.
You must be a city boy. NZ has lots of cows. In fact I just read that your government is going to kill 150,000 of them due to some disease that they don't want to spread further.
 
phinds said:
You must be a city boy. NZ has lots of cows. In fact I just read that your government is going to kill 150,000 of them due to some disease that they don't want to spread further.
:DD The cows of my place that I have seen are black and white and they have big udders. I had never seen that cow. It looks fluffy.

I heard that if one eats a hamburger in a McDonalds of say the US and then eats a hamburger of a McDonalds of say an Asiatic country, the meat tastes different. Looks like they use different cows for the meat depending on the geographic location. Can't say if it's true because I don't really like red meat and haven't taken the time to test it. It might as well be a lie.
 
They're still young'uns.. Here are some mature ones...

IMG_6910 crop.jpg


Img_0465sm.jpg


IMG_7319-crop.JPG


20170402_103842s.jpg


My bull.. he's impressively big.. about 2400 lbs
20160913_083445sm.jpg


A video of him from today
 
Attachments
  • IMG_6910 crop.jpg
    IMG_6910 crop.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 490
  • Img_0465sm.jpg
    Img_0465sm.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_7319-crop.JPG
    IMG_7319-crop.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 503
  • 20170402_103842s.jpg
    20170402_103842s.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 501
  • 20160913_083445sm.jpg
    20160913_083445sm.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 458
:)) Wow! That place is huge! You could build a house there. If I had a place that big, I would build an ecological house (actually hire others with expertise). Being very careful of insulation and would go with renewable energy. But I wouldn't use wood. I hate wood houses. Also, is that white thing at the top of the far mountains, snow?

For your bull weighting approximately 2400 lb it moves pretty fast. How do you measure the weight anyways? I'm curious.