Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

  • Thread starter Thread starter micromass
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Animal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3,073 replies · 328K views
Earlier in May this year I had the privilege of getting very close to a family of greylag geese and their beautiful small goslings. Greylag geese are very watchful, but I was very calm and spent some time around them, and after a while the parents let their goslings come very close to me. They finally came to be less than a meter away from me, and I captured it on video. It was a very nice experience :smile:. The close-up clip is at 5:10 in the video.

I also filmed some western jackdaws, and here is one who gets a surprise by stepping on a branch :smile::

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Rx7man, strangerep, Drakkith and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I've been a bit absent...

Here's a fresh Cicada
246184
My bull calf getting lickings from momma..450 lbs at 3 1/2 months old.. he's sure growing

246183


Gimme back my hat!
246182
?hash=40bd547cf7a164cf543720b7f927345c.jpg


20190411_102759.jpg
 
Attachments
  • 20190322_183224.jpg
    20190322_183224.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 309
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, BillTre, Drakkith and 3 others
Pookie loves sleeping on my lap
246189
Fawn, Momma sleeping in the hay shed (she really doesn't mind me around)
246188
246187


Can see momma's butt in the background under the tree
246186
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, BillTre, strangerep and 4 others
No, unfortunately not. It is especially funny for me, because we often call our cats "Stubentiger" which is best translated by "indoor tiger" I guess, and I have never seen a cat where this name had been more adequate.
 
fresh_42 said:
No, unfortunately not. It is especially funny for me, because we often call our cats "Stubentiger" which is best translated by "indoor tiger" I guess, and I have never seen a cat where this name had been more adequate.
Well named. Not a fan of cats but that colouring is impressive.
 
BillTre said:
Bat Photo
Hmm. Now I'll have to post a pic of how I know whether they've active near my home last night. :oldruck:
 
Just go stand outside for a bit. Their wing sounds are pretty distinctive. Very cool part of camping in the wilderness -- strange shadows swooping over the campfire catching bugs and flying by our heads. Fun. :smile:
 
berkeman said:
Just go stand outside for a bit. Their wing sounds are pretty distinctive. Very cool part of camping in the wilderness -- strange shadows swooping over the campfire catching bugs and flying by our heads. Fun. :smile:
Don't go to sleep under a date palm tree, or you'll wake up with a rather unusual facial.
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Ibix and berkeman
I want one as a pet :wink: https://www.theweathernetwork.com/videoplayer/1942203455001/B1CSR9sVf/6002250252001? 🐠
 
BillTre said:
Crows leave gifts in exchange for food.
In my previous home, I would have fed the local crows, etc, forever if they could've learned to swoop down and peck the neighbour's dog whenever it was barking.
 
BillTre said:
Bat Photo
That is an amazing photo! Did you take the photo, or did you find it somewhere?
It must have been hard to take, bats are so darn fast. :smile:
 
DennisN said:
That is an amazing photo! Did you take the photo, or did you find it somewhere?
It must have been hard to take, bats are so darn fast. :smile:

I wish.
Just saw it on the internet.
I like it because it so clearly shows the bone structure of the bat which is so different from that of birds (besides being a great picture).
Bird wing bones here.

It is hard to understand how it picture was taken unless it was either complete luck or set-up in some way.
 
A very fascinating short video about bird intelligence! For instance, it shows a clip of New Caledonian crow making its own tool to solve a puzzle! :))

The clip also describes a graph showing body masses versus brain masses for various intelligent animals, and some details about the brains of crows that I did not know. For instance, one side of their brain can sleep while the other one is awake! :))

Crows, smarter than you think | John Marzluff | TEDxRainier
John Marzluff, Ph.D., is the James W. Ridgeway Professor of Wildlife Science at the University of Washington.
 
Last edited:
Some amphibian embryos I found under a rock by my fairly heavily watered raised bed (its wet there).
The picture has some plant stems for scale.
Second embryo from the top (side view):
Pointy end to the left is the tail.
The stomach area of the embryo (which comes from the yolk area of an egg) is near the middle of the embryo, on the upper side.
The head is the kind of bulbous part on the right.

2019-10-10_13-42-13.jpg


I am guessing they are from a small salamander species we have around here.

columbia river.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 256bits and DennisN
Example of fascinating color changes of octopus. And these are not just cool animals, they're intelligent too.

Watch the brilliant color changes of a sleeping octopus. (Nature on PBS)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 256bits, strangerep and collinsmark
Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 8.17.51 AM.png


"Tail" does not move and has not skeletal elements.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and strangerep