Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

  • Thread starter Thread starter micromass
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Animal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3,073 replies · 328K views
catz said:
Hewwo, we meowz hewe.
Thanks, bookmarking! :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
aUDdrWW.jpg
 
trollcast said:


:smile: I LOVE IT! :!)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
trollcast said:


Too much moonwalking, obviously just a one trick pony! :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Supposedly a polar bear.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/860116_561404697213879_1158633896_o.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/534894_579413198743130_1209109945_n.jpg

I hate you all!
​
 
Last edited by a moderator:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/522003_642188909143899_412649551_n.jpg​
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OmCheeto said:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/522003_642188909143899_412649551_n.jpg​
Awww, three adorable babies.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
Only dogs count?
Yes, I'm afraid so. This *is* the animal lover's thread.
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDa0z0gEvI4
 
More info...Duke's new friend to-be is a mixed-English Bulldog and boxer. If she is as cute as my wife's friend alleges, it will be hard to resist her. At least I am home all day and can dedicate the time to train her - Duke will help because he is such a smart guy.
 
Borek said:
How many dogs do you need for a dogsled?
The proper number depends on the weight of the primary payload and the distance to the destination. The function is very non-linear, similar (qualitatively) to a rocket fuel equation. Greater distance means one must carry more dog food, meaning increased overall payload, meaning more dogs, meaning more dog food, etc.

As a reference, the author Jack London discusses what can happen when improper calculations take place, in the novel White Fang [Edit: or is it Call of the Wild? perhaps I'm getting the two novels confused. :frown: I read both, back to back, and it has been many, many years.]

[Edit: that(those) novel(s) has(have) always stuck with me to this day for the following reason: Dogs are not lazy. Assuming that the proper amount of dog food is around, and the dogs on the sled team are relatively healthy and capable (and proper equipment is used, and of course, proper care & treatment), dogs love that sort of thing. I've heard some people say that dog sleds are cruel, but those comments came from people who don't know anything about dogs.]
 
Last edited:
Borek said:
How many dogs do you need for a dogsled?

None.

When I was 6, my friend and I were walking home from school, and we were walking across the frozen creek, and my friend was jumping up and down on the ice, and, it broke.

Fortunately, the hole was only big enough for his body to slide through, and he was able to stop going down by outstretching his arms.

I pulled him to safety, but, being we were in Anchorage Alaska, even at 6 years old, I knew he was not long of this world. So we got up to the road, and who should be shooshing by with my 4 year old brother on the dog sled? Mom!

She grabbed the kid, put him on the sled, and raced him home to his parents. They lived across the street. My little brother and I showed up a few minutes later.

Mom got some candy that Christmas, with a nice little note:

"Dear Mrs OmCheeto, Thank you for saving my life."

Or something to that effect.
 
chickadees and abandoned nest box

In March I put a nest box a little bit over the bird feeder that you have already seen in the past.

nest_box.jpg


Plan was to put a USB camera inside, unfortunately, because of messy combination of hardware/software/cable problems I had to put the plan temporarily on hold. But, as the nest box is about 2 meters from my desk, I hoped for a nice view of birds raising their young.

Unfortunately, so far even that part didn't work as expected.

In the end of April a pair of chickadees started to build a nest inside:

chickadee01.jpg


They looked quite happy, even if there were moments when they were looking at me with a serious resentment "you could make this hole larger, couldn't you?" (well, I could, but I made it small in a hope the box will get occupied by blue tits).

chickadee02.jpg


Unfortunately, they disappeared and as of today I have not seen them for well over two weeks. Nest box is in such a place I can see it when sitting at my desk, just on the border of my field view, so I am sure they abandoned the nest - it is impossible to miss motion there. So I decided to open the box and see what is going on inside.

Turns out they build a nice nest - while it is not well visible on the picture, it is well over 4" of sticks and moss, lined with dog hair.

nest.jpg


They also laid eggs - 8 of them but I lost 3 while trying to pick the nest from the box, so only 5 on the picture:

eggs.jpg


Broken eggs contained only white and yolk, so probably the nest was abandoned soon after they were laid, I presume otherwise there should be some embryos visible. That fits my observations - they disappeared soon after they stopped to bring building materials.

Somehow this year so far almost nothing goes as planned
grumpy_borek.png
 
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02581/potd-zebra_2581172k.jpg