Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

  • Thread starter Thread starter micromass
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Animal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3,073 replies · 328K views
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: phinds, DennisN, Rive and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
BillTre said:

Holy cow, THAT is amazing.
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, DennisN and BillTre
Yep, @BillTre I've been there and done that. My facemask was probably 4" away from the rock when it turned into an octopus and sprayed me and shot away. Scared the begeezus out of me!
 
  • Wow
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, pinball1970 and BillTre
A superb visualization of how chromatophores allow an octopus to blend in with the backdrops
Its not just the chromatophores (colored pigmentation containing cells) but these octopi also have a great control over their surface texture, making little fuzzy branches of skin protrusions over much of their body.
I can't think of other animals that can do this kind of thing.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and berkeman
BillTre said:

Really scary looking bird! The stuff of nightmares. :biggrin:
 
DennisN said:
Really scary looking bird! The stuff of nightmares. :biggrin:
Makes me think of Dr. Seuss animals.
 
Very, very funny! :biggrin:

This Flying Squirrel Faking Its Own Death Is The Cutest Thing Ever


(Edit: I just saw @BillTre has already posted it above before :smile:, but anyway)
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, collinsmark and BillTre
Here's a weird one:

 
  • Wow
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, pinball1970, DennisN and 1 other person
BillTre said:
Here's a weird one:


Love one of the reply tweets: "I saw that in my back yard after that UFO crashed"...
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, Borg, DennisN and 1 other person
fresh_42 said:
The more I see the less is the difference.


I love the reassuring grooming once the cat is safe. "You're ok now."
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and fresh_42
BillTre said:

I was wrong calling the heron above the stuff of nightmares.
This shark is way more scary! 🙂
 
Gotta love how they just dive in! "I'll figure out the whole up-down thing once I get in there..." :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: phinds and BillTre
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) hatchling, we think the eggs hatched between 3 and 5 days ago:

robin fledgling.jpg


Untitled.jpg


A face that only a mother could love, tbh. :)
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, BillTre and phinds
Andy Resnick said:
(Turdus migratorius) [...]
Hmm. That sounds like the white cockatoos around here who sure like to migrate their turds widely... :oldmad:
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Andy Resnick, BillTre and renormalize