Shear Thickening Fluid (in plastic)

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential uses of shear thickening fluids (STF) with Kevlar for bullet proof vests, as well as exploring alternative applications. The speaker is interested in creating a rigid solid that becomes harder under sudden force but more flexible under slow force. They question if adding STF to molten plastic and allowing it to solidify would transfer any of its properties to the plastic.
treeinthewood
I have been looking into shear thickening fluids and how they are used with Kevlar for bullet proof vests. I am considering alternative uses but have limited knowledge on the subject. I would like to create a rigid solid that becomes harder and less flexible when a large force is suddenly applied but is more flexible and elastic when force is slowly applied. If the stf was added to molten plastic and then left to solidify would the plastic contain any of the properties of the stf?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

1. What is shear thickening fluid (STF)?

Shear thickening fluid (STF) is a type of non-Newtonian fluid that becomes more viscous and resistant to flow when subjected to shear stress, such as when it is stirred or agitated.

2. How is STF different from other fluids?

Unlike most fluids, which become less viscous when subjected to shear stress, STF becomes more viscous and behaves more like a solid. This is due to the presence of suspended particles, usually in the nanometer range, that form temporary bonds when agitated, making the fluid thicker and more resistant to flow.

3. What are the applications of STF in plastic?

STF has many potential applications in the plastic industry, including as a strengthening agent in composite materials, a shock-absorbing material in protective gear, and a self-healing material in plastic coatings.

4. How is STF made?

STF is typically made by suspending small particles, such as silica or carbon, in a liquid such as water or oil. The concentration and size of the particles, as well as the type of liquid, can be adjusted to control the behavior of the STF.

5. Are there any safety concerns with STF?

STF is generally considered safe for use in consumer products, but it is always important to follow proper safety precautions when handling any type of fluid. Some STF formulations may contain toxic or irritating substances, so it is important to read and follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully.