Sherwood number of evaporating spherical droplet

• Thread starter gfd43tg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spherical
In summary, the conversation involves solving for the diffusivity of a volatile spherical droplet evaporating in a quiescent atmosphere using Fick's Law of Diffusion and the Sherwood number equation. The equation is derived and the values for the molar density, initial droplet diameter, and saturated vapor pressure are given. Follow-up questions involve calculating the diffusivity and solving for the radius of the drop as a function of time.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

From Fick's Law of Diffusion, ##N_{A}C_{B} - N_{B}C_{A} = -DC \frac {dC_{A}}{dz}##

Prove that Sh=2 for a volatile spherical droplet evaporating in a quiescent atmosphere. (Sherwood number for a sphere is given by ##Sh = \frac {k_{A}d}{D}##, where d = initial droplet diameter). At large distances from the sphere the concentration of the volatile component is zero. The saturated vapor pressure is negligibly small compared to the atmospheric pressure.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know ##P_{atm} \gg P^{*}##, and ##C_{A,\infty} = 0##. But how the heck can I use the equation to prove this relationship? I don't understand what the equation means. Is ##C_{B}## the concentration of air molecules in the spherical droplet? I would think the first term is just approximated as zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maylis said:

Homework Statement

From Fick's Law of Diffusion, ##N_{A}C_{B} - N_{B}C_{A} = -DC \frac {dC_{A}}{dz}##

Prove that Sh=2 for a volatile spherical droplet evaporating in a quiescent atmosphere. (Sherwood number for a sphere is given by ##Sh = \frac {k_{A}d}{D}##, where d = initial droplet diameter). At large distances from the sphere the concentration of the volatile component is zero. The saturated vapor pressure is negligibly small compared to the atmospheric pressure.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know ##P_{atm} \gg P^{*}##, and ##C_{A,\infty} = 0##. But how the heck can I use the equation to prove this relationship? I don't understand what the equation means. Is ##C_{B}## the concentration of air molecules in the spherical droplet? I would think the first term is just approximated as zero.
Would you believe that this is the same problem as the heat transfer problem you just solved? In the heat transfer problem, h = k/a= 2k/d. So the Nussult number is Nu = hd/k = 2.

Chet

Likes gfd43tg
Wow, I would have never believed it. I did the derivation pretty much identical to that heat transfer problem, and got it.

Here is a follow up question

A volatile sphere has radius 0.01 m, molar density 5.0 kmol.m-3, and its saturated
vapor pressure at 20 C is 30 Pa. The time for it to evaporate at 20 C and 1 bar
pressure in still air is 32 days. Find the diffusivity of the vapor through the stagnant
air.

So, I know 30 Pa << 1 atm, so this should be basically a continuation of the previous problem. So
##Sh = 2 = \frac {k_{A} d}{D} ##, and I am looking for D. However, how can I go about calculating ##k_{A}##, since it is an unknown?

I have ##V \frac {dC_{A}}{dt} = -k_{A}AC_{A}^{*}##.
$$ \frac {4}{3} \pi r^3 \frac {dC_{A}}{dt} = -k_{A} 4 \pi r^2 C_{A}^{*}$$
$$ \frac {r}{3} \frac {dC_{A}}{dt} = -k_{A}C_{A}^{*} $$
So I will say ## \frac {dC_{A}}{dt} = \frac {5 - 0}{32 \times 24 \times 3600} = 1.81 \times 10^{-6}##, since it starts at 5 kmol/m^3, but after it evaporates it will have zero concentration. I guess this process is so slow that it is assumed to be steady state. so I calculate ##k_{A} = 2 \times 10^{-10}##, then plug back in and get ##D = 2 \times 10^{-12} \frac {kmol}{m^{2} s}##. Although, I still have that negative sign in here that shouldn't be there...

Last edited:
Maylis said:
Wow, I would have never believed it. I did the derivation pretty much identical to that heat transfer problem, and got it.

Here is a follow up question

A volatile sphere has radius 0.01 m, molar density 5.0 kmol.m-3, and its saturated
vapor pressure at 20 C is 30 Pa. The time for it to evaporate at 20 C and 1 bar
pressure in still air is 32 days. Find the diffusivity of the vapor through the stagnant
air.

So, I know 30 Pa << 1 atm, so this should be basically a continuation of the previous problem. So
##Sh = 2 = \frac {k_{A} d}{D} ##, and I am looking for D. However, how can I go about calculating ##k_{A}##, since it is an unknown?

I have ##V \frac {dC_{A}}{dt} = -k_{A}AC_{A}^{*}##.
$$ \frac {4}{3} \pi r^3 \frac {dC_{A}}{dt} = -k_{A} 4 \pi r^2 C_{A}^{*}$$
$$ \frac {r}{3} \frac {dC_{A}}{dt} = -k_{A}C_{A}^{*} $$
So I will say ## \frac {dC_{A}}{dt} = \frac {5 - 0}{32 \times 24 \times 3600} = 1.81 \times 10^{-6}##, since it starts at 5 kmol/m^3, but after it evaporates it will have zero concentration. I guess this process is so slow that it is assumed to be steady state. so I calculate ##k_{A} = 2 \times 10^{-10}##, then plug back in and get ##D = 2 \times 10^{-12} \frac {kmol}{m^{2} s}##. Although, I still have that negative sign in here that shouldn't be there...
Regarding the negative sign, I guess the equation for dC/dt should have 0-5, rather than 5-0. The units on the diffusion coefficient look wrong. They should be m2/s. I haven't checked your arithmetic, but the diffusion coefficient looks way low (if it were in the correct units).

Chet

That is a good point, so then the units of ##k_{A} [=] \frac {kmol \hspace{0.05 in} s}{m \hspace{0.05 in} kg}##, but then multiplying by the diameter means D has units of ##\frac {kmol \hspace{0.05 in} s}{kg}##, so I can't get rid of this mole term, and without a specified species it shouldn't have anything to do with the molar mass.

Maylis,

I don't think you set up this problem correctly. The left side of the equation should read CdV/dt, where C is the molar density of the drop, which is not changing. The units of kA should be m/s. I assume you calculated C* correctly. You are solving for the radius of the drop as a function of time.

Chet

Likes gfd43tg
Thanks a ton, I now get on the order of 10^-5, which sounds much better

What is the Sherwood number of an evaporating spherical droplet?

The Sherwood number of an evaporating spherical droplet is a dimensionless number used to characterize the mass transfer efficiency of a droplet. It is defined as the ratio of the mass transfer rate due to diffusion to the mass transfer rate due to convection.

How is the Sherwood number calculated?

The Sherwood number can be calculated using the equation Sh = k*D/d, where k is the mass transfer coefficient, D is the diffusion coefficient, and d is the characteristic length of the droplet.

What factors affect the Sherwood number of an evaporating spherical droplet?

The Sherwood number is affected by various factors such as the droplet size, temperature, pressure, and the properties of the surrounding fluid. It also depends on the mass transfer mechanism, whether it is controlled by diffusion or convection.

What is the significance of the Sherwood number in droplet evaporation?

The Sherwood number is an important parameter in studying droplet evaporation as it provides insight into the mass transfer process. It helps in understanding the efficiency of the droplet in transferring mass between the liquid and gas phases.

How is the Sherwood number used in practical applications?

The Sherwood number is commonly used in the design and optimization of evaporators and other heat and mass transfer equipment. It is also used in studying natural phenomena such as raindrop evaporation and in industries such as food processing and pharmaceuticals.