Shielded magnetic loop probe / antennas

Swamp Thing
Insights Author
From a purely physics point of view, what would be the performance tradeoffs between the following types of shielded H-field pickups or antennas?

Sources:

(A)
sloop.gif

(B)
SimplerLoop-300x214.png

https://owenduffy.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/SimplerLoop-300x214.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I have experience with this type of probe, and have built several for my work. But you need to go first -- what are your thoughts on this type of B-Field RF probe?

The type "B" looks a bit sus to me. The outer is used as half of the loop, so it is exposed to all the electrostatic noise. But there may be some other big advantage to that design, idk.

Screened loops are magnetic field antennas, hence the term "B-field RF probe". If the external electrostatic shield is asymmetrical, or carries signal current, the output from the probe will also be influenced by the electric field. Screened loops must be significantly smaller in diameter than the operating wavelength, so they have a simple dipole pattern.
Swamp Thing said:
The type "B" looks a bit sus to me.
It is more than suspicious, it is bad.

Likes DaveE and Swamp Thing
It isn't common for shielding something "half way" to make sense. That's why the others have a tiny gap in the shield. Although I'm sure someone will give us a counter example.

1705378128935.png

DaveE said:
It isn't common for shielding something "half way" to make sense.
The shield cannot cover the full turn, or the shield will become a shorted turn on the pickup loop.

The gap in the shield is there to prevent a shield current flowing. The shield must be symmetric, so it cannot be open on one side, or it will detect the electric field.

Metal detectors also often use a multi-turn coil, inside a shield that has a narrow insulated gap.

I accept that shielded loops do work, for example in direction finders, but it is unclear to me why the alternating B-field inside the loop does not have an associated electric field.

tech99 said:
... why the alternating B-field inside the loop does not have an associated electric field.
Because the loop is small in wavelengths and the local E-field is 'shorted' by the external conductive shield.

Likes berkeman
Found this paper
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1284886

also accessible here without login:
https://www.researchgate.net/public...neration_of_Magnetic_Fields_Using_Loop_Probes

If they are right, then there can be situations where Fig (B) in my question could actually make sense. A key point they assert is that if the diameter is not negligible compared to wavelength, then the outer conductor can't be regarded as a short, nor is it really working as a shield -- it is actually part of the pickup structure. So if your aim is to minimize common mode noise then symmetry is the key. The loop has to be designed to work as a balun as well as a pickup loop.

I realized also that there are different scenarios with different goals, for example:

(1) The probe signal is well above our amplifier's noise floor, the instrumentation itself doesn't produce much common mode noise, and we want to isolate the magnetic field from electrical fields near the probe. Example: probing currents and magnetics around a switched power supply circuit.

(2) The probe signal is quite weak, and our equipment (e.g. computer) emits common mode interference into the feed line. Example: a shortwave loop antenna connected to an SDR receiver which is connected to a computer via USB.

My interest happens to be focused on scenario (2) where you can't really have diameter <<<< wavelength because then the signal would be below the amplifier/SDR's noise floor. In this case symmetry is important, and Fig (B) can have some merit.

1. How does a shielded magnetic loop probe work?

A shielded magnetic loop probe works by using a loop of wire to detect magnetic fields. The shielded design helps to reduce interference from external sources, allowing for more accurate measurements.

2. What are the advantages of using a shielded magnetic loop probe?

Some advantages of using a shielded magnetic loop probe include improved sensitivity to magnetic fields, reduced interference from external sources, and the ability to make precise measurements in noisy environments.

3. How is a shielded magnetic loop probe different from other types of antennas?

A shielded magnetic loop probe is designed specifically to detect magnetic fields, whereas other types of antennas may be optimized for different types of electromagnetic radiation, such as radio waves. The shielded design helps to improve the accuracy of magnetic field measurements.

4. What are some common applications of shielded magnetic loop probes?

Shielded magnetic loop probes are commonly used in scientific research, industrial applications, and electromagnetic compatibility testing. They can be used to measure magnetic fields in a variety of settings, including laboratories, manufacturing facilities, and electronic devices.

5. How should a shielded magnetic loop probe be calibrated?

Calibrating a shielded magnetic loop probe typically involves comparing its measurements to those of a known magnetic field source. This can help to ensure the accuracy of the probe's readings and identify any potential sources of error in the measurement process.