1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shift Operator Properties

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg810/scaled.php?server=810&filename=screenshot20120131at923.png&res=medium [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So in particular I want to look at the last part of this problem. That is, "Show that [itex]S^n = 0[/itex]"

I know that [itex]dim(KerS^k) = k[/itex] and therefore, [itex]dim(ImS^k)= n-k[/itex]. If k=n, [itex]dim(ImS^k)= n- n = 0[/itex] which implies that [itex]ImS^k = \left\{ 0 \right\} [/itex].

I'm having trouble drawing from this the conclusion that [itex]S^n = 0[/itex]. Is S an isomorphism? If so, does that mean that the only thing that can map to 0 in the codomain is 0 in the domain?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You mean [itex]ImS^n = \left\{ 0 \right\}[/itex]. That means for all vectors x, [itex]S^n(x)=0[/itex]. Doesn't that mean [itex]S^n=0[/itex]? Of course S isn't an isomorphism! It has a nonzero kernel. Not sure what's bothering you here.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook