Shifting coordinate system in 2D solving simultaneous equation

In summary, the coordinates of a place in space vary depending on the coordinate axes that are being used. When in 2D, the coordinates of a place in space vary depending on the coordinate axes that are being used given by: A_{x}^{\prime}=A_{x}\cos\theta+A_{y}\sin\theta (1)andA_{y}^{\prime}=-A_{x}\sin\theta+A_{y}\cos\theta (2) Now I am trying to reverse it - to show what A_x and A_y are in terms of A_x' and A_y'..This is
SUDOnym
When in 2D, the coordinates of a place in space vary depending on the coordinate axes that are being used given by:

[tex]A_{x}^{\prime}=A_{x}\cos\theta+A_{y}\sin\theta[/tex] (1)

and

[tex]A_{y}^{\prime}=-A_{x}\sin\theta+A_{y}\cos\theta[/tex] (2)

Now I am trying to reverse it - to show what A_x and A_y are in terms of A_x' and A_y'..This is a simple simultaneous eqtn but I cannot get to the result that I know is the correct answer, the following is the relationship I wish to show:

[tex]A_{x}=A_{x}^{\prime}\cos\theta-A_{y}^{\prime}\sin\theta[/tex] (3)My attempt:

firstly, rearrange equation (1) to get:

[tex]A_{y}=\frac{-A_{x}\cos\theta+A_{x}^{\prime}}{\sin\theta}[/tex] (4)

now plug (4) into (2) to eliminate A_y:

[tex]A_{y}^{\prime}=-A_{x}\sin\theta+A_{x}^{\prime}\arctan\theta-A_{x}\cos\theta\arctan\theta[/tex] (5)

(From now on I stop putting in the thetas for speed..)

[tex]\implies A_{y}^{\prime}\tan=-A_{x}\sin\tan-A_{x}\cos+A_{x}^{\prime}[/tex] (6)

[tex]\implies\frac{A_{y}^{\prime}\tan-A_{x}^{\prime}}{cos}=-A_{x}\tan^{2}-A_{x}[/tex] (7)I cannot not see how to progress after this point...I don't know if I have made a mistake in the algebra (although I have checked a few times) or if I am missing a useful trig identity.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could use Cramer's Rule to solve for A_x and A_y in terms of A'_x and A'_y. In Cramer's Rule, you need to divide through by the determinant of the coefficient matrix. What is that determinant in your case?

RGV

SUDOnym said:
When in 2D, the coordinates of a place in space vary depending on the coordinate axes that are being used given by:

[tex]A_{x}^{\prime}=A_{x}\cos\theta+A_{y}\sin\theta[/tex] (1)

and

[tex]A_{y}^{\prime}=-A_{x}\sin\theta+A_{y}\cos\theta[/tex] (2)

Now I am trying to reverse it - to show what A_x and A_y are in terms of A_x' and A_y'..This is a simple simultaneous eqtn but I cannot get to the result that I know is the correct answer, the following is the relationship I wish to show:

[tex]A_{x}=A_{x}^{\prime}\cos\theta-A_{y}^{\prime}\sin\theta[/tex] (3)

My attempt:

firstly, rearrange equation (1) to get:

[tex]A_{y}=\frac{-A_{x}\cos\theta+A_{x}^{\prime}}{\sin\theta}[/tex] (4)
Fine up to here, but then...
now plug (4) into (2) to eliminate A_y:

[tex]A_{y}^{\prime}=-A_{x}\sin\theta+A_{x}^{\prime}\arctan\theta-A_{x}\cos\theta\arctan\theta[/tex] (5)
This is wrong. [itex]\cos\theta/\sin\theta[/itex] does not equal [itex]\arctan\theta[/itex]. Notation-wise, this is how it works:
[tex]\begin{align}
\tan^{-1} x & \Leftrightarrow \arctan x \\
(\tan x)^{-1} & \Leftrightarrow 1/\tan x
\end{align}[/tex]
It's confusing because [itex]\tan^2 x[/itex] does mean [itex](\tan x)^2[/itex]. It's just one of those inconsistencies in common notation you have to learn and be aware of.

In this problem, you might as well leave everything in terms of sine and cosine since that's what you want in the end anyway.
(From now on I stop putting in the thetas for speed..)

[tex]\implies A_{y}^{\prime}\tan=-A_{x}\sin\tan-A_{x}\cos+A_{x}^{\prime}[/tex] (6)

[tex]\implies\frac{A_{y}^{\prime}\tan-A_{x}^{\prime}}{cos}=-A_{x}\tan^{2}-A_{x}[/tex] (7)

I cannot not see how to progress after this point...I don't know if I have made a mistake in the algebra (although I have checked a few times) or if I am missing a useful trig identity.
If you factor the RHS of equation (7), you get [itex]-(\tan^2\theta+1)A_x[/itex]. You can simplify that using a trig identity.

Not clear how you know the thing you wish to show, but it is usually an advantage in a math problem to know the answer.

I think the suggested methods are worth working through. However surely simpler wouldn't it be to say: you already have the formulae for the new co-ordinates (A'x, A'y) of a point whose co-ordinates with respect to the previous co-ordinates were (Ax. Ay) after rotation through θ.

This pair of formulae are general for any 2-D rotation.

So now what is it you have to find? The formulae for the new co-ordinates (Ax, Ay)of a point whose co-ordinates with respect to the previous co-ordinates were (A'x. A'y) after rotation through -θ. So apply your general formula and it is pretty immediate.

Last edited:

What is a coordinate system?

A coordinate system is a system of representing points in space using a set of numbers or coordinates. In 2D, it typically consists of two perpendicular axes, usually labeled x and y, which intersect at a point called the origin. This allows for the precise location of a point to be described using two numerical values.

What is a simultaneous equation?

A simultaneous equation is a set of two or more equations that are solved together to find the values of the variables that satisfy all the equations. In 2D, this involves finding the point of intersection between two lines represented by equations.

Why would you need to shift the coordinate system in 2D solving simultaneous equations?

Shifting the coordinate system in 2D solving simultaneous equations can simplify the equations and make them easier to solve. It can also help to visualize the solution and make it more intuitive.

How do you shift the coordinate system in 2D solving simultaneous equations?

To shift the coordinate system in 2D, you can add or subtract a constant value to the x or y values of all the points in the system. This will result in a new coordinate system with the same orientation, but with a different origin and possibly different scale.

What are the benefits of shifting the coordinate system in 2D solving simultaneous equations?

Shifting the coordinate system can make it easier to see the relationship between the equations and the resulting solution. It can also make the equations simpler and more manageable, making it easier to find the solution. Additionally, it can help to identify patterns and relationships that may not have been apparent in the original coordinate system.