1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shifting the origine of time in isotropic oscillator

1. Feb 26, 2006 #1
    I am really lost here :(

The equation of motion X(t)=Ax Cos(wt-delta(x))
    Y(t)=Ay Cos(wt-delta(y))
    by shifting the origine of time ( t'=t+to where I need to figure out what is appropriate for time to ) and ( Delta=Delta(y)-Delta(x) )
    I am suposed to find X(t)=Ax Cos(wt) and Y(t)=Ay Cos(wt-Delta)

I wish I could give some of my work but I cant even start it right now since I cannot think of the appropriate time (to) for X , I know that it can not be 0 because then I come to the same point again.
    anyhelp appreciated
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

I think you mean for the argument of that last function you gave to be t'. What do you get when t'=0? Compare this to what you get with the original function at the same time as measured in t (ie, in terms of to).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  4. Feb 26, 2006 #3
    Yes t to be t' but in the question itself says once you find the solution with t',convert it into t .
    I thought I can give to= dx/w then my equation become for X=Ax Cos( wt'-(wto+Deltax)) and when I unpack it, X/Ax=Cos(wt')Cos(dx+Deltax)+Sinwt' Sin(dx+Deltax) that has to stay only X/Ax=Cos(wt') how to come to this conclution ? How to get red of Cos(dx+Deltax))+Sinwt' Sin(dx+Deltax) I dont know :((((((
    any idea?

5. Feb 26, 2006 #4
    I figured it out

thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?