Normalisation of harmonic oscillator classical action

In summary, the formula for the transition amplitude of the harmonic oscillator involves the classical action and the time difference. To find the wave function at a given time, an integral must be evaluated using a Gaussian integral. The Gaussian integral formula should work for any complex value in the exponent, as long as the imaginary part is positive. However, the constant A must be negative.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The transition amplitude for the harmonic oscillator may be written as ##\langle x_2, t_2 | x_1, t_1 \rangle = N_{\omega}(T) \exp(i/\hbar S_{cl})##, where ##T=t_2-t_1## and ##S_{cl}## is the classical action. Let the wave function at ##t=0## be ##\psi(x,o) = \left(\frac{mw}{\pi \hbar}\right)^{1/4} \exp(-mwx^2/2\hbar)##. Find ##\psi(x,t)##

Homework Equations

[/B]
##\langle 0, T | 0, 0 \rangle \equiv \langle 0, t_2|0, t_1 \rangle = N_{\omega}(T)##
Classical action, ##S_cl = \frac{mw}{2 \sin w T} (-2x_1 x_2 + \cos w T(x_1^2 + x_2^2))##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
##\psi(x,t) = \int dx' \langle x,t |x',t' \rangle \psi(x',t')##Evaluate for ##t' = 0## gives $$\psi(x,t) = \int dx' \langle x,t |x',0 \rangle \psi(x',0) $$ which is $$= \sqrt{\frac{mw}{2\pi i \hbar sin wt}} \left(\frac{mw}{\pi \hbar}\right)^{1/4} e^{\frac{i}{\hbar} \frac{mw}{2 \sin wt} x^2 \cos wt} \int dx' e^{\frac{i}{\hbar} \frac{mw}{2\sin wt} (x'^2 \cos wt) - 2xx')} e^{\frac{-mwx'^2}{2 \hbar}}$$
I am just a bit confused on what Gaussian integral I should use to compute this? I was thinking $$\int e^{iax'^2 + bx'} dx' = ..$$ but the ##x'^2## term has both imaginary and real coefficients. I've tried completing the square too but no progress. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi king vitamin,
king vitamin said:
The formula for the Gaussian integral you give (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common...grals_with_a_complex_argument_of_the_exponent for example) should work for any complex value a in the exponent as long as the imaginary part of a is positive.
Hmm so I should write it like $$\int dx' e^{x'^2(A+if(t)) + ig(t)x'}?$$ I'm just not sure how to then apply the result $$\int dx e^{iax^2 + bx} = \sqrt{\frac{i\pi}{a}} \exp(-ib^2/4a)$$ Thanks.

[tex]
\int dx' e^{x'^2(A+if(t)) + ig(t)x'} = \int dx' e^{i (f(t) - iA) x'^2 + ig(t)x'} = \sqrt{\frac{i \pi}{f(t) - iA}}\exp\left(-ig(t)^2/4(f(t)-iA)\right)
[/tex]

Which can be simplified. But remember that A must be negative.

1. What is the harmonic oscillator classical action?

The harmonic oscillator classical action is a concept in classical mechanics that describes the motion of a particle in a potential well. It is the integral of the Lagrangian, which is a function that describes the kinetic and potential energies of the system.

2. Why is normalisation important in the harmonic oscillator classical action?

Normalisation is important in the harmonic oscillator classical action because it ensures that the action remains constant regardless of the choice of coordinates or parameterization. This allows for a consistent and meaningful description of the system's dynamics.

3. How is the harmonic oscillator classical action normalised?

The harmonic oscillator classical action can be normalised by dividing it by the Planck's constant h. This results in a dimensionless quantity that is independent of the units used to measure time and energy.

4. What is the significance of the normalisation factor in the harmonic oscillator classical action?

The normalisation factor in the harmonic oscillator classical action has physical significance as it relates to the quantization of energy in the system. It also allows for the comparison of systems with different energy scales.

5. Can the normalisation of harmonic oscillator classical action be applied to other systems?

Yes, the concept of normalisation in the harmonic oscillator classical action can be applied to other systems in classical mechanics, such as the motion of a pendulum or a mass attached to a spring. It can also be extended to quantum mechanical systems, where it is used to describe the energy levels of atoms and molecules.