Shilov, Tenenbaum and Edwards Dover Books after Spivak.

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on which books to use for self-study in advanced calculus, linear algebra, and ordinary differential equations. They mention using Spivak's Calculus book and ask for opinions on three other books by Dover. They also mention becoming a community college student in the fall and needing to take more computation-focused courses. One person suggests that Spivak is enough, while another recommends Tenenbaum-Pollard and Shilov as well. The last person recommends Edwards as an excellent and rigorous option.
VectorField
Hello. This is my first time posting on the forum but I have been an avid reader since about last year (Didn't have an account).

Well let me get to the point. I just finished working through Spivak's Calculus book through self-study. I have been looking around the forum and I have read suggestions about being better to do Linear Algebra before diving into Multivariable.

Well here are my questions, I've considered using three books by Dover:
  • Advanced Calculus of Several Variables, C. H. Edwards
  • Linear Algebra, Georgi E. Shilov
  • Ordinary Differential Equations, Morris Tenenbaum

What do you guys think of these three books? What level of rigor do they posses? Is Spivak sufficient enough to read those books?

By the way, I am going to be a community college student this coming fall. I am going to have to "officially" take calculus, linear algebra, differential equations etc, through books that focus a lot in computation like Stewart's. If you have better suggestions on what I should do please tell me. Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Yes, I think Spivak is enough... Tenenbaum-Pollard is sometimes not very rigurous but it is very complete ( I like it).
I think Shilov is a very clear book, but the order in which he presents the topics is weird (he starts with determinants). Maybe you'll like it.
You can't go wrong with Edwards, it's excellent

1. What is "Shilov, Tenenbaum and Edwards Dover Books after Spivak"?

"Shilov, Tenenbaum and Edwards Dover Books after Spivak" is a collection of mathematical textbooks published by Dover Publications. The books are reprints of the original texts by mathematicians I.M. Shilov, Morris Tenenbaum, and Harold M. Edwards, with additional material added by mathematician Michael Spivak.

2. What subjects do the books cover?

The books cover a wide range of mathematical topics, including calculus, differential equations, topology, algebra, and more. The collection is aimed at undergraduate and graduate students, as well as anyone interested in advanced mathematics.

3. How are these books different from the original texts?

The books include additional material, such as exercises, solutions, and commentary, added by Michael Spivak. The material is designed to enhance the understanding and learning experience for readers.

4. Are these books suitable for self-study?

Yes, these books are suitable for self-study. They are written in a clear and concise manner, and include exercises and solutions for self-assessment. However, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of calculus and other advanced mathematics before diving into these texts.

5. Where can I purchase these books?

These books can be purchased from various online retailers, such as Amazon and Barnes and Noble, as well as directly from the Dover Publications website. They are also available at many bookstores and libraries.