Shilov, Tenenbaum and Edwards Dover Books after Spivak.

  • Thread starter Thread starter VectorField
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Books Spivak
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
VectorField
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hello. This is my first time posting on the forum but I have been an avid reader since about last year (Didn't have an account).

Well let me get to the point. I just finished working through Spivak's Calculus book through self-study. I have been looking around the forum and I have read suggestions about being better to do Linear Algebra before diving into Multivariable.

Well here are my questions, I've considered using three books by Dover:
  • Advanced Calculus of Several Variables, C. H. Edwards
  • Linear Algebra, Georgi E. Shilov
  • Ordinary Differential Equations, Morris Tenenbaum

What do you guys think of these three books? What level of rigor do they posses? Is Spivak sufficient enough to read those books?

By the way, I am going to be a community college student this coming fall. I am going to have to "officially" take calculus, linear algebra, differential equations etc, through books that focus a lot in computation like Stewart's. If you have better suggestions on what I should do please tell me. Thank you for your time.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I think Spivak is enough... Tenenbaum-Pollard is sometimes not very rigurous but it is very complete ( I like it).
I think Shilov is a very clear book, but the order in which he presents the topics is weird (he starts with determinants). Maybe you'll like it.
You can't go wrong with Edwards, it's excellent