SHM and hole through the center of the Earth

In summary: Gm\frac{4\pi \rho}{3}r = 0 should then be the required equation. Ok, so far so good. Then the period is, don't know if I need to derive it from the diff, T = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}} . From where it then is just to insert values and I should be done with periodic motion.
astenroo

Homework Statement

View the Earth as a homogenous sphere with the density [tex]\rho[/tex]. Assume a hole has been succesfully been drilled through the center of the Earth, and a body with mass m is dropped down the hole. Give an expression of the force as function of of the distance r from the Earth's centre. Show that this force gives rise to a harmonic oscillation, and give the period for the motion. Assume m = 1 kg. What is the velocity and kinetic energy at passing the centre?

I've seen this has been tried earlier, but I would like to give a shot at it myself. I'm currently taking a course in maths (methods for physicists) and the current topic is differential equations.
Ok, here goes

Homework Equations

F=-kx (this is what I need to show)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, this is where I think I should start out.

F=Gm [tex]\frac{dM}{dr^{2}}[/tex]

or

m[tex]\frac{d^{2}r}{dr^{2}}[/tex]=Gm[tex]\frac{dM}{dr^{2}}[/tex]

So, am I on the right track or am making this more complicated than it is? Hints would be very nice at this stage. I have a hunch I'll end up with complex numbers...

Physics news on Phys.org
How can you express the force on the mass m as a function of its distance from the center of the earth? (No complex numbers needed.) Hint: If the distance is r, how much mass is contained in the sphere of radius r?

I wrote something but Doc Al has a better post:)

Doc Al said:
How can you express the force on the mass m as a function of its distance from the center of the earth? (No complex numbers needed.) Hint: If the distance is r, how much mass is contained in the sphere of radius r?

The mass inside a sphere of radius r is V[tex]\rho[/tex], where V = [tex]\frac{4\pi r^3}{3}[/tex]

If I use Newton's gravity law, then the force on m at distance r would be F=-GMm/r^2. But now the radius changes, which implies the force also changes... I'll just throw an idea

F = ma = m d2r/dt2

m d2r/dt2 = -Gm[tex]\frac{4\pi r^3}{3 dr^2}[/tex]

You're on the right track. But you left out ρ in your final equation and added a 'd'.

The key point, which was proven by Newton, is that only the fraction of the total mass below the point 'r' contributes to the force on the mass m.

Doc Al said:
You're on the right track. But you left out ρ in your final equation and added a 'd'.

The key point, which was proven by Newton, is that only the fraction of the total mass below the point 'r' contributes to the force on the mass m.

Yes indeed I did :)

So, the corrected formula should be

m [tex]\frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}}[/tex]= -Gm[tex]\frac{4\pi r^{3}\rho}{3r^{2}}[/tex]

At this point the m's cancel each other out and some of the r's and I end up with the following
[tex]\frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}}[/tex]= -G[tex]\frac{4\pi \rho r}{3}[/tex] and

Then on the right hand side I basically end up with -kr... but, since r changes, am I allowed to make the assumption
[tex]\frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}}[/tex]= -G[tex]\frac{4\pi \rho}{3}[/tex]dr ?

Or should I be satisfied that

[tex]\frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}}[/tex] + G[tex]\frac{4\pi \rho}{3}[/tex]r = 0, where G[tex]\frac{4\pi \rho}{3}[/tex] = k? Which according to the litterature characterizes all types of simple harmonic oscillations?

Hmm..I wonder if should've left the m's in the equation...

astenroo said:
So, the corrected formula should be

m [tex]\frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}}[/tex]= -Gm[tex]\frac{4\pi r^{3}\rho}{3r^{2}}[/tex]

At this point the m's cancel each other out and some of the r's and I end up with the following
[tex]\frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}}[/tex]= -G[tex]\frac{4\pi \rho r}{3}[/tex] and
All good.

Then on the right hand side I basically end up with -kr... but, since r changes, am I allowed to make the assumption
[tex]\frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}}[/tex]= -G[tex]\frac{4\pi \rho}{3}[/tex]dr ?
No, you can't just replace r with dr.

Or should I be satisfied that

[tex]\frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}}[/tex] + G[tex]\frac{4\pi \rho}{3}[/tex]r = 0, where G[tex]\frac{4\pi \rho}{3}[/tex] = k? Which according to the litterature characterizes all types of simple harmonic oscillations?

Hmm..I wonder if should've left the m's in the equation...
Yes, you should have left the m's into make the equation exactly parallel to F = -kx.

[tex]m\frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}} = -Gm\frac{4\pi \rho}{3}r = -kr [/tex]

Doc Al said:
All good.No, you can't just replace r with dr.

Yes, you should have left the m's into make the equation exactly parallel to F = -kx.

[tex]m\frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}} = -Gm\frac{4\pi \rho}{3}r = -kr [/tex]

[tex]m\frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}} + Gm\frac{4\pi \rho}{3}r [/tex]= 0 should then be the required equation. Ok, so far so good.

Then the period is, don't know if I need to derive it from the diff, [tex] T = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}} [/tex]. From where it then is just to insert values and I should be done with periodic motion.

from the equation r(t)=A sin ([tex]\omega[/tex]t + [tex]\varphi[/tex] I should be able to derive the kinetic energy and the velocity for the mass as it passes the centre.

Last edited:
Aaargh... What is the major malfuntion with LaTex? The period should be 2 pi sqrt (m/k)...

1. What is SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion)?

SHM is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point, with a constant amplitude and a constant period.

2. Can a hole be drilled through the center of the Earth?

Technically, it is possible to drill a hole through the center of the Earth. However, due to the extreme temperatures and pressures at the Earth's core, it is currently not feasible with our current technology.

3. Will a mass dropped into a hole through the center of the Earth experience SHM?

Yes, a mass dropped into a hole through the center of the Earth would experience SHM. This is because as the mass falls towards the center, it will accelerate due to gravity, and as it passes the center, it will decelerate until it reaches the other side, where the process repeats in the opposite direction.

4. How does the period of SHM differ between a hole through the Earth and a pendulum?

The period of SHM for a mass dropped through a hole in the Earth would be approximately 42 minutes, while the period of a simple pendulum depends on its length. The longer the length, the longer the period. Additionally, the period of SHM through the Earth would not be affected by the mass of the object, while the period of a pendulum is directly proportional to the mass.

5. What factors affect the period of SHM through a hole in the Earth?

The period of SHM through a hole in the Earth is affected by the distance between the two points, the mass of the object, and the acceleration due to gravity. It is also influenced by the properties of the medium through which the object is moving, such as air resistance or friction.