1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SHM(mass suspended vertically on spring)

1. Jul 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An object is hung on the end of a vertical spring and is released from rest with the spring unstressed. If the object falls 3.42 cm before coming to rest, find the period of the resulting oscillatory motion.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This was a homework question given and the answer is in the back of the book and it says
    T = .262 seconds. Now i have no clue how they got this because I thought that the period was related to the spring constant and the mass but not to the amplitude so how can we find T if neither k nor m is given?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2009 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi nrweis, welcome to PF!

You can deduce something about them from the restoring force that is required to balance the object's weight.

4. Jul 4, 2009 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

You don't necessarily need m and k, because don't you also know that

a(t) = ω2*x(t)

Won't a(t) = 9.8 at x/2 from the dead weight equilibrium point, which is at the peak of its oscillation?

Since ω = 2πf = 2π/T ...

5. Jul 4, 2009 #4
    Ok I thought about it for a while and thought I was on the right track but still got it wrong. This is what i did:

F=k∆x
    mg=k∆x

√(g/∆x)= √(k/m)=ω=2π(1/T)

√(g/∆x)= 2π(1/T)

T=2π√(∆x/g)

and I got like .37 seconds.
    Was I on the right track?

6. Jul 4, 2009 #5
    now I'm all confused. I was thinking that delta x was the amplitude

7. Jul 4, 2009 #6
    ok I just misunderstood the question. When I divided the 3.42 cm by 2 and reentered it to the formula I got the right answer. Thanks guys.

8. Jul 4, 2009 #7

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Yes. Δx is the amplitude, but the x-position function which expresses x as a function of time is only x/2 distant from the mid point.

Congrats on figuring it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook