Short-circuited Resistance in Parallel with Reactance

In summary, the conversation involves a question about the equivalent circuit of an induction machine and how to find the current when the core losses are neglected. The main point of confusion is how to deal with a reactance connected in parallel with a short circuit. It is clarified that in this case, Rc is not actually a short circuit but is assumed to have infinite resistance. The conversation also mentions the importance of performing 'no load' and 'blocked rotor' tests on an induction motor in the lab.
GoodPost
Dears,

Please help me out with this. The attached figure is an equivalent circuit of an induction machine. I'm trying to find the current (Is). It's assumed that the core losses are neglected and hence Rc =0. If this is the case, then Rc (short-circuited) is in parallel with jXm. What's the resultant impedance for this parallel combination? Thx,

GoodPost.

KwSLfQFvcFuZ9Fa6W-LqizxCscK-RRVUvC-oq8QLOwR606lrS_NlZ1MouCD6LCExezA0JPwpYSIJEQQ&owa=outlook.live.jpg

Attachments

• KwSLfQFvcFuZ9Fa6W-LqizxCscK-RRVUvC-oq8QLOwR606lrS_NlZ1MouCD6LCExezA0JPwpYSIJEQQ&owa=outlook.live.jpg
    KwSLfQFvcFuZ9Fa6W-LqizxCscK-RRVUvC-oq8QLOwR606lrS_NlZ1MouCD6LCExezA0JPwpYSIJEQQ&owa=outlook.live.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 608
Physics news on Phys.org
Please fill out the template next time. At the minimum, you are required to show your own effort. Homework helpers are not allowed to help until you do that.

The homework problem is pretty long and has different parts and I can do it. My only issue is what happens when a resistor (short-circuited) is connected to a reactance in parallel. It's more to understand a concept than to get an answer for a homework.

As I know, if two resistors are connected in parallel and one of them is short-circuited, then the other one is short-circuited too. But i don't think this works here as well. I'm wondering how to deal with a reactance connected in parallel with a short circuit.

GoodPost said:
It's assumed that the core losses are neglected and hence Rc =0.

No, it means Rc is infinite. Not short circuit, but open circuit.

When an impedance (R or X or C) is short circuited, it can be neglected in the circuit.

Likes cnh1995
It makes sense the way you interpreted it, but it's still confusing me since Rc=0 is actually assumed in the problem statement and if the resistance = 0 that means it's a short circuit, right? Plz check the attached photo.

Thx.

xjEmIkoqGpu-GWKKjLFpBlwCTrSKH3ZD6fudRCqfo1vYGwaDdqp1ObQJomz0KTkHyRjF812UxyuPAWw&owa=outlook.live.jpg

Attachments

• xjEmIkoqGpu-GWKKjLFpBlwCTrSKH3ZD6fudRCqfo1vYGwaDdqp1ObQJomz0KTkHyRjF812UxyuPAWw&owa=outlook.live.jpg
    xjEmIkoqGpu-GWKKjLFpBlwCTrSKH3ZD6fudRCqfo1vYGwaDdqp1ObQJomz0KTkHyRjF812UxyuPAWw&owa=outlook.live.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 303
In your schematic, if Rc=0, then it short circuits everything except Rs and Xs. Does that make sense to you?

GoodPost said:
but it's still confusing me since Rc=0 is actually assumed in the problem statement
I believe it's a typo.

Have you performed 'no load' and 'blocked rotor' tests on an induction motor in your lab? The R2/s in the circuit is actually the sum of two components: 1) rotor resistance R2 (slip independent) and 2) the electrical equivalent of the mechanical load i.e. Rm=R2*(1-s)/s .

While analysing the blocked rotor circuit, we substitute s=1 in the above circuit. This gives Rm=0, and this corresponds to maximum copper loss. While analysing no load circuit, we put s=0 and get Rm=∞, which corresponds to zero (almost) copper loss.

1. What is short-circuited resistance in parallel with reactance?

Short-circuited resistance in parallel with reactance refers to the combination of a resistance and a reactance (either inductive or capacitive) that are connected in parallel. This means that they share the same two end points, but have different paths for current to flow.

2. How does short-circuited resistance in parallel with reactance affect an electrical circuit?

This combination affects an electrical circuit by creating a complex impedance, which is a measure of the resistance and reactance together. This can affect the flow of current and the overall behavior of the circuit. In some cases, it can cause a voltage drop or change the phase relationship between voltage and current.

3. How is short-circuited resistance in parallel with reactance calculated?

The calculation for the total impedance in a parallel circuit is 1/Z = 1/R + 1/X, where Z is the total impedance, R is the resistance, and X is the reactance. The short-circuited resistance in parallel with reactance can then be calculated by subtracting the reactance from the total impedance.

4. What are some common applications of short-circuited resistance in parallel with reactance?

This combination is commonly used in electrical filters, where the reactance is used to block certain frequencies while allowing others to pass through. It can also be used in power systems to help regulate voltage and current.

5. How can short-circuited resistance in parallel with reactance be minimized?

One way to minimize this combination is to use components with higher values of resistance and reactance. This can reduce the overall effect on the circuit. Additionally, using components with lower tolerances can also help to minimize any variations in the resistance and reactance values.