Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Short Exact Sequences: Splitting

1. Mar 29, 2012 #1

jgens

Gold Member

In Dummit and Foote, a short exact sequence of R-modules [itex]0 \rightarrow A \rightarrow B \rightarrow C \rightarrow 0[/itex] ([itex]\psi:A \rightarrow B[/itex] and [itex]\phi:B \rightarrow C[/itex]) is said to split if there is an R-module complement to [itex]\psi(A)[/itex] in [itex]B[/itex]. The authors are not really clear on what the phrase "an R-module complement to" means, so I was hoping someone here could help clear my confusion up. My best guess is that they mean "there exists some R-module [itex]C'[/itex] such that [itex]B[/itex] is the internal direct sum of [itex]\psi(A)[/itex] and [itex]C'[/itex]."

In Dummit and Foote, a short exact sequence of groups [itex]1 \rightarrow A \rightarrow B \rightarrow C \rightarrow 1[/itex] ([itex]\psi:A \rightarrow B[/itex] and [itex]\phi:B \rightarrow C[/itex]) is said to split if there is a subgroup complement to [itex]\psi(A)[/itex] in [itex]B[/itex]. Again the authors are not really clear on what the phrase "a subgroup complement to" means, so I was hoping someone here could help clear my confusion up. My best guess is that they mean "there exists some group [itex]C'[/itex] such that [itex]B[/itex] is the internal semi-direct product of [itex]\psi(A)[/itex] and [itex]C'[/itex]."

Are my interpretations correct?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The relevant definitions are on page 180 and page 383 (which is not so clear, but you get the idea).

4. Mar 29, 2012 #3

jgens

Gold Member

The definition on page 180 is clear and it appears that my interpretation was correct for groups. Since R-modules are an abelian category, I am pretty sure I got the right interpretation for modules too. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook