Short Grade 12 Gravitational Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a planet X year, given that planet V has a year lasting 360 days and planet X has half the mass and triple the radius of planet V. A formula is derived and used to find the approximate number of days in a planet X year. There is some uncertainty about the accuracy of this method due to the unknowns of the mass and radius of planet X.
TheSerpent
The Question
The Planet V has a year lasting 360 days. In the same star system is the Planet X. The Planet X has half the mass and triple the radius. A planet X year would be approximately _____ days
The attempt at a solution

Givens:
Tv= 360days
Tx= ?
mv = mv
mx = 1/2mv
rv = rv
rx = 3rvI derived a formula that incorporates time.
From which v = sqrt ( GM/r )
since T = 2pir / v

sub v into that formula and you get:

T = sqrt (4 pi^2 r^ 3 / GM )

with that I had two sets of values, Vulcan and X:
I plugged them into the formula and arranged for a common values such as Mv.
Then I subbed Mv from one formula into another.

This is what results:

8pi^23rv^3 / GTx^2 = 4pi^2rv^3/ GTv^2

through cancellations I ended up getting:

Tx = sqrt ( (2)(3)^3(360)^2 )
which was that amount of days.

Not sure if this method would be the correct way to go with this question or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheSerpent said:
The Question
The Planet V has a year lasting 360 days. In the same star system is the Planet X. The Planet X has half the mass and triple the radius. A planet X year would be approximately _____ days

The attempt at a solution

Givens:
TV= 360days
TX= ?
mV = mV
mX = 1/2mV
rV = rV
rX = 3rV

I derived a formula that incorporates time.
From which v = sqrt ( GM/r )
since T = 2(pi)r / v

sub v into that formula and you get:

T = sqrt (4 pi2 r3 / GM )

with that I had two sets of values, Vulcan and X:
I plugged them into the formula and arranged for a common values such as MV.
Then I subbed MV from one formula into another.

This is what results:

8pi23rv3 / GTx2 = 4pi2rv3/ GTv2

through cancellations I ended up getting:

TX = sqrt ( (2)(3)3(360)2 )
which was that amount of days.

Not sure if this method would be the correct way to go with this question or not.
Do you mean that the radius of the orbit of planet X is triple that of planet V ?

Does the mass of the planet matter? Is the M in the equation, v = sqrt ( GM/r ), the mass of the planet, or the mass of some other object?

Use the subscript, X2, & superscript, X2, buttons above the "Go Advanced" message box.

1. What is a "Short Grade 12 Gravitational Problem"?

A "Short Grade 12 Gravitational Problem" is a type of physics problem commonly given to students in their 12th grade year of high school. This type of problem typically involves calculating the force of gravity between two objects and/or determining the motion of objects under the influence of gravity.

2. Why is this type of problem important to learn?

Understanding the principles of gravity is essential in many fields, including physics, astronomy, and engineering. This type of problem helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as a deeper understanding of the laws of gravity.

3. What are some common formulas used in "Short Grade 12 Gravitational Problems"?

Some common formulas used in these types of problems include Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation (F=G(m1m2)/r^2), the formula for gravitational potential energy (U=mgh), and the formula for centripetal force (F=mv^2/r).

4. How can I approach solving a "Short Grade 12 Gravitational Problem"?

It is important to carefully read and understand the given problem, identify the known and unknown variables, and determine which formula(s) to use. Then, plug in the known values, solve for the unknown variable, and check your answer for reasonableness.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving "Short Grade 12 Gravitational Problems"?

Some helpful tips for solving these types of problems include drawing diagrams to visualize the situation, using units consistently throughout the problem, and double-checking your calculations. It can also be helpful to practice similar problems and seek assistance from a teacher or tutor if needed.