Short term, Light weight, Low volume Refrigeration Design

In summary, the speaker is seeking ideas on how to temperature control a shoe box sized volume at 5 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes. The main constraints are that the system should be lightweight (<1kg) and take up a small fraction of the volume. The speaker does not want to use dry ice as a solution.
Bland67
Hello Guys,

This is my first time posting here - just wondering if anyone has some insight on a project that I am working on. I want to be able to temperature control an insulated shoe box sized volume at ~5 degrees Celsius for about 20 minutes. The main constraints are that I would need the temperature control system to be lightweight (<1kg) and occupy only a small fraction of the shoe box volume.

Any ideas would be welcomed! I would rather not just throw a block of dry ice in the container, though.

Brandon

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bland67 said:
lightweight (<1kg) and occupy only a small fraction of the shoe box volume.
Bland67 said:
just throw a block of dry ice in the container
You've about optimized it.

1. What is short term refrigeration design?

Short term refrigeration design refers to the creation of refrigeration systems that are designed to operate for a short period of time, typically less than a year. These systems are often used for temporary or seasonal applications, such as in food trucks or for outdoor events.

2. What are the benefits of using light weight refrigeration design?

Light weight refrigeration design offers several benefits, such as ease of transport and installation, energy efficiency, and cost savings. These systems are also more environmentally friendly, as they require less materials and energy to operate.

3. How is low volume refrigeration design different from traditional refrigeration systems?

Low volume refrigeration design is specifically tailored for applications that require smaller amounts of refrigeration, such as in laboratories or for personal use. These systems are designed with smaller compressors and cooling components, making them more compact and efficient.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a short term, light weight, low volume refrigeration system?

When designing a refrigeration system for short term, light weight, low volume use, factors such as the intended use, temperature requirements, energy efficiency, and budget should be taken into consideration. It is also important to consider the space limitations and availability of power sources.

5. What are some common applications for short term, light weight, low volume refrigeration systems?

Short term, light weight, low volume refrigeration systems are commonly used in a variety of applications, such as in food and beverage industries for temporary storage and transportation, in medical and pharmaceutical industries for storing medications and vaccines, and in research laboratories for temperature-sensitive experiments and samples.