1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should finish math degree for work in industry.

1. Mar 28, 2014 #1
    I am currently a math and physics major, But im not sure I am going to finish my math degree.
    Should I finish it to possibly help me get a job in industry after I graduate or is a physics degree enough. I would possibly want to get a job at an engineering place. Would finishing my math degree be worth my time.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Stay the course you started and finish. It cannot hurt and can only help you in the long term. It removes future regrets and makes you viable for more experienced jobs.

4. Mar 28, 2014 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the long term (i.e. the next 30 years of your working life) you can't predict what parts of your education will turn out most useful.

In the short term, labeling yourself as a quitter (without a good reason) probably won't improve your employability.

So finish it, unless you have a good story to tell about why you didn't finish.

5. Mar 28, 2014 #4
    If you want to work in engineering you should get an engineering degree. A math degree is very unlikely to help. If you dont want to get an engineering degree then do an internship and do as much programming as possible.

6. Apr 2, 2014 #5
    pi-r8, I disagree. A lot of software houses hire math majors and physics majors. They are favored by the software industry for their analytic ability.

7. Apr 2, 2014 #6
    Why do this to yourself? Get an engineering degree if you desire to work in engineering.

8. Apr 2, 2014 #7
    Makes sense to me. If you are early enough along switching now will be less painful than switching later.

9. Apr 2, 2014 #8
    Since the poster expressed interest on engineering, I assumed that meant the tradititional engineering areas(electrical, mechanical, etc). If they wanted to work as a software engineer they probably would have mentioned programming.

You're right that a lot of physics and math majors work in that area, but I dont see why a physics/math duel major would have an advantage over a pure physics major.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook