Should finish math degree for work in industry.

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the person should finish their math degree in order to improve their job prospects in the industry after graduation. The advice given is to stay the course and finish the degree, as it can only benefit them in the long term and remove future regrets. While a math degree may not directly help in engineering, it is still valued by the software industry for its analytical ability. However, if the person's goal is to work in traditional engineering, it may be more beneficial to pursue an engineering degree or gain relevant experience through internships and programming.
cragar
I am currently a math and physics major, But I am not sure I am going to finish my math degree.
Should I finish it to possibly help me get a job in industry after I graduate or is a physics degree enough. I would possibly want to get a job at an engineering place. Would finishing my math degree be worth my time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stay the course you started and finish. It cannot hurt and can only help you in the long term. It removes future regrets and makes you viable for more experienced jobs.

In the long term (i.e. the next 30 years of your working life) you can't predict what parts of your education will turn out most useful.

In the short term, labeling yourself as a quitter (without a good reason) probably won't improve your employability.

So finish it, unless you have a good story to tell about why you didn't finish.

cragar said:
I am currently a math and physics major, But I am not sure I am going to finish my math degree.
Should I finish it to possibly help me get a job in industry after I graduate or is a physics degree enough. I would possibly want to get a job at an engineering place. Would finishing my math degree be worth my time.

If you want to work in engineering you should get an engineering degree. A math degree is very unlikely to help. If you don't want to get an engineering degree then do an internship and do as much programming as possible.

pi-r8, I disagree. A lot of software houses hire math majors and physics majors. They are favored by the software industry for their analytic ability.

Why do this to yourself? Get an engineering degree if you desire to work in engineering.

caldweab said:
Why do this to yourself? Get an engineering degree if you desire to work in engineering.

Makes sense to me. If you are early enough along switching now will be less painful than switching later.

MathAmateur said:
pi-r8, I disagree. A lot of software houses hire math majors and physics majors. They are favored by the software industry for their analytic ability.

Since the poster expressed interest on engineering, I assumed that meant the tradititional engineering areas(electrical, mechanical, etc). If they wanted to work as a software engineer they probably would have mentioned programming.

You're right that a lot of physics and math majors work in that area, but I don't see why a physics/math duel major would have an advantage over a pure physics major.

1. Should I finish my math degree before looking for work in industry?

It is generally recommended to finish your math degree before seeking work in industry. Many employers prefer candidates with a completed degree, as it demonstrates a level of commitment, dedication, and knowledge in the field.

2. Can I find work in industry with an unfinished math degree?

It is possible to find work in industry with an unfinished math degree, but it may limit your job opportunities and potential for growth. Employers may also require you to complete your degree within a certain timeframe.

3. Will a math degree be useful in the industry?

A math degree can be highly useful in many industries, such as finance, data analysis, and technology. It provides a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are highly valued by employers.

4. Can I work in industry with a different degree instead of a math degree?

While a math degree may be preferred, it is possible to work in industry with a different degree. Many industries value a diverse range of skills and backgrounds, so it is important to highlight any relevant skills or experiences you have in your job search.

5. How can I make the most of my math degree for a career in industry?

To make the most of your math degree for a career in industry, consider taking courses or gaining experience in areas that are in high demand, such as statistics, programming, or data analysis. Networking and internships can also be valuable in gaining industry experience and making connections with potential employers.