1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I add on a Chemistry Minor?

1. Mar 14, 2015 #1
    Hi all, this is my first post on here so if it is in the wrong section, I'm sorry.
    I have been a physics undergraduate now for two and a half years and I'm at the point now where I have some electives I can finally choose. I already have a Math minor finished, but I'm thinking about adding on a Chemistry minor. I am strongly considering going to graduate school for biomedical engineering, more specifically neural engineering, so I figured that chemistry may be something good to know that would also make my application look better if I take some of the harder classes.

So, my basic question is would it be better to add on a Chemistry minor or to take more upper level physics or math classes or something else even? (We don't have engineering classes at my university so that isn't an option.)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2015 #2
    Biomedical engineering is engineering foremost, then biology. I doubt engineering problems are connected from physics, through chemistry, to biology, because that is really a hassle and in the end you are an engineer.

Neurons in particular are a subject that has been approached from a physical-biochemical direction, and a biological/physiological direction. The problem often has been the disconnect between the two.

Sounds like that rare engineering field that is 100% research, 0% application.

4. Mar 15, 2015 #3

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A chemistry minor would seem practical and valuable if one wishes to major in a biomedical/biochemical engineering. One should probably take classes in organic chemistry and biochemistry. One should research the requirements for a program/degree in biomedical engineering and perhaps biochemistry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook