1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should i attend to top universities to become a physicist?

1. Dec 19, 2015 #1
    Hey.

I may go next year to study space physics in Embry Riddle Aeronautical university in Daytona Beach. i know that they have the best aerospace program in the world. But do they have a very good physics program. because what i am asking about is that should i go to one of the top universities like Harvard or Yale or universities like that to become a good physicist and otherwise i wont be that good theatrical physicist?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2015 #2
    Do well there and move on to a top 20 or top 30 graduate school. You do not need a top undergrad school to become a physicist; you need to work very hard.

4. Dec 20, 2015 #3
    I checked Embry Riddle's physics curriculum . If you are interested in theoretical physics at a good graduate school you might want to do some comparison shopping. Embry Riddle's space physics program seems to a little weak and more oriented to engineering. A good performance there still might not be enough when you are competing with good students from any of 41 schools in the US New and Word Survey of space science programs in which Embry Riddle is not listed.

5. Dec 21, 2015 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand: do you want to be a physicist or an aerospace engineer? The answer to that question should help a lot in determining where you go to school...

6. Dec 21, 2015 #5
    I want to be a physicist.. I will study physics

7. Dec 21, 2015 #6

jtbell

There are probably hundreds of colleges and universities in the US where one can get a decent undergraduate physics education that will prepare you adequately for graduate school. Why are you considering Embry-Riddle specifically? I'm just curious...

8. Dec 21, 2015 #7
    Its because of many reasons. I'm an international student and i have the english requirements of this university. and i will work in space agency and many other reasons. but is embry riddle that bad???

9. Dec 21, 2015 #8

jtbell

Embry-Riddle's space physics degree has the standard courses for general graduate school preparation (classical mechanics, thermodynamics. electricity & magnetism, quantum mechanics), although only one semester of each. Most schools have two semesters of upper-level E&M, for example. The other courses are engineering and specialized space physics courses.

Most or all of their research seems to be oriented towards space physics.

If you're certain that you want to go into space physics, the program looks OK to me. However, if you later decide that you would rather go into some other area of physics, that might be a problem. That's why most undergraduate physics programs in the US are not strongly specialized. They allow students to explore different fields, which increases the chance of finding a field that is a good fit for them. Most high-school students don't know enough physics yet to make an informed choice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook