1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Should I Be Enjoying My Physics Internship?

1. Jul 27, 2011 #1
    This summer I've been working in an experimental cosmology lab, and its really not inspiring me to go into the field of experimental cosmology at all. At first I was pretty gung-ho about everything, but the work never really got interesting. I spend half my week looking up information about trivial things on the internet, about an hour actually thinking about a problem, and then the rest of the week writing a report about the tiny problem that I solved.

I'm glad that I've learned how to use a bunch of different software sweets, but, honestly, I had more fun (and got paid more for) killing bugs last summer than I'm having in this internship.

Did you guys enjoy your internships? Is this a bad sign for me if I had been thinking of a Physics PhD?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2011 #2

Dembadon

Gold Member

I don't think it's wise to compare the work of an internship with that of a Ph.D. holder. :wink:

My advice is to give it some time. There's nothing wrong with finding out what you don't like about a subject.

4. Jul 27, 2011 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All jobs, especially internships, suck until you prove yourself by competently executing menial tasks. Once you master coffee 101 [or lunch boy], your stock will rise. Einstein got his start as a patent clerk - you think he didn't lick any boots?

5. Jul 28, 2011 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Apart from occassionally substituting "grant proposal" for report, that's not too different from a week of mine.

6. Jul 28, 2011 #5
    Except that in this case, it's pretty close to what a typical graduate student/post-doc/professor does.

7. Jul 28, 2011 #6

Dembadon

Gold Member

Good to know!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook