Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Should I Be Enjoying My Physics Internship?

1. Jul 27, 2011 #1
    This summer I've been working in an experimental cosmology lab, and its really not inspiring me to go into the field of experimental cosmology at all. At first I was pretty gung-ho about everything, but the work never really got interesting. I spend half my week looking up information about trivial things on the internet, about an hour actually thinking about a problem, and then the rest of the week writing a report about the tiny problem that I solved.

I'm glad that I've learned how to use a bunch of different software sweets, but, honestly, I had more fun (and got paid more for) killing bugs last summer than I'm having in this internship.

Did you guys enjoy your internships? Is this a bad sign for me if I had been thinking of a Physics PhD?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2011 #2

Dembadon

Gold Member

I don't think it's wise to compare the work of an internship with that of a Ph.D. holder. :wink:

My advice is to give it some time. There's nothing wrong with finding out what you don't like about a subject.

4. Jul 27, 2011 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All jobs, especially internships, suck until you prove yourself by competently executing menial tasks. Once you master coffee 101 [or lunch boy], your stock will rise. Einstein got his start as a patent clerk - you think he didn't lick any boots?

5. Jul 28, 2011 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

Apart from occassionally substituting "grant proposal" for report, that's not too different from a week of mine.

6. Jul 28, 2011 #5
    Except that in this case, it's pretty close to what a typical graduate student/post-doc/professor does.

7. Jul 28, 2011 #6

Dembadon

Gold Member

Good to know!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook