Should I being worrying about choosing a specific career?

In summary: There are many resources out there to help you.In summary, the panicking physics student is looking for advice on how to best pursue their education and career goals after graduation. They are worried about the costs of continuing their education full time and the limited job prospects for physicists. They also worry that they have taken the wrong path and should have gone into engineering. They suggest putting aside the idea of working during schooling if possible, and research different career paths in physics. They also advise getting started attending career fairs early in your career.
lincs_b
Hi,
Just recently I have began to panic over what I will do after uni even though I have two full years left. I am studying towards a Bsc physical science with honours but I don't think I can afford to stretch myself financially to carry on in education full time. I would love to study part time (taught masters) and get a job but even if the job market picks up how likely am I to get a job that would be flexible enough?

I keep reading articles about how sought after physicists are but surely it would be optimistic to assume I will be employed straight away? I am also constantly worried that I have taken the wrong path and I should have gone down the engineering route.

I chose physics as it is the only subject that I have really wanted to know more about but I have no idea of what I want to do after this degree. Should I just concentrate on my studies or should I also think about my long term career plan?

Physics news on Phys.org
lincs_b said:
Hi,
Just recently I have began to panic over what I will do after uni even though I have two full years left. I am studying towards a Bsc physical science with honours but I don't think I can afford to stretch myself financially to carry on in education full time. I would love to study part time (taught masters) and get a job but even if the job market picks up how likely am I to get a job that would be flexible enough?

I don't understand - you don't believe you'll be able to finish your BS full time? Or you won't be able to get your masters full time? Or both? Most Masters programs pay your school and even pay you a stipend. It isn't much, but you shouldn't have to worry about working during it.

Personally I would suggest putting aside the idea of working while schooling if you can help it (and I hope more people comment on this). There are certainly examples of how to do this, but it seems a tough road. On the other hand, I would treat your research time as your "internship", and use it to leverage your way into your future job.

Should I just concentrate on my studies or should I also think about my long term career plan?

I strongly advise you to do both.

I keep reading articles about how sought after physicists are but surely it would be optimistic to assume I will be employed straight away? I am also constantly worried that I have taken the wrong path and I should have gone down the engineering route.

They are sought after, remember that physicists are hired across many fields like defence, technology, energy, teaching etc. Normally a bachelor's degree will take you to teaching in schools, working at a technological firm etc. If you aim for a Masters or PhD, you probably will be able to look at a wider selection of occupations.

I chose physics as it is the only subject that I have really wanted to know more about but I have no idea of what I want to do after this degree. Should I just concentrate on my studies or should I also think about my long term career plan?

They say it over and over again at career fairs in university, think long term. You probably should do your own independent research on different career paths in physics, talk with career advisors etc.

It's always wise to have a long term plan.

The question of a career isn't necessarily one you have to answer over night. You figure it out by trying different things. You have an interest in physics, and now, at your level, you should be trying to figure out what branch of physics you enjoy the most as well as learning as much as you can of the fundamentals and picking up some skills that will increase your employability. Do you like programming? Modeling? Electronics? Are you finding you have an interst in other fields like biology or business?

Other things that can help you figure out your path include part-time jobs, summer positions, research positions, volunteer work, and work that you do in various clubs (physics students for example can join engineering teams that build solar powered cars amd the like).

Also, it's not too early to start attending career fairs. Speak with recruiters directly and ask about the skills they're looking for.

1. Should I choose a career based on my passion or financial stability?

This is a common dilemma for many individuals. The answer is that it depends on your personal priorities and goals. If you are someone who values job satisfaction and fulfillment, then pursuing a career based on your passion may be the right choice for you. However, if financial stability is your top priority, then choosing a career that offers good job prospects and a high salary may be more suitable.

2. Is it important to have a specific career goal in mind?

Having a specific career goal can provide direction and motivation for your education and career choices. However, it is also okay to not have a clear idea of your future career at all times. It is important to remain open to new opportunities and to constantly reassess your goals as you gain new experiences and skills.

3. How do I know if I have chosen the right career path?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. However, a good indication that you have chosen the right career path is if you feel fulfilled and motivated in your job. It is also important to regularly assess your goals and make sure they align with your career path and personal values.

4. Can I change my career path if I am not happy with my current one?

Yes, it is possible to change your career path at any point in your life. Many successful individuals have made significant career changes throughout their lives. It is important to carefully evaluate your skills, interests, and goals before making a career change to ensure it is the right decision for you.

5. Should I consider job market trends when choosing a career?

It is important to be aware of job market trends and job prospects in your chosen field. However, it should not be the sole factor in your decision. It is also important to consider your personal interests, skills, and values when choosing a career, as well as the potential for growth and job satisfaction in the long term.