1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should i delay my graduation to study more?

1. Apr 26, 2015 #1
    First of all, sorry for any problem with my english, it's not my native language and i'm still learning. I hope to not make too many mistakes. I'm Brazillian, by the way.

Here in my country, public universities are free. I live with my family and my home is close to the university. I don't spend that much money, i don't buy stuff or go to parties (i don't like it) or whatever; i can live with little, so i'm not in a rush to get money.

In my university we have some freedom to choose classes. It's not exactly the major/minor system, but it's something like that. For example, one can graduate in Engineering and take some extra classes in Philosophy for fun, or take 3 or 2 (or 8) classes per semester instead of 5 or 6.
    I'm studying engineering and we usually take 5 years to graduate. I want to delay my graduation by a year to take more math, physics (mainly eletromagnetism and quantum physics) and do some projects by myself or work half time in a lab (here we have a schorlaship called Scientific Initiation, it's like a summer job but during the semester; we help the professors in their research), part because i want to have this knowledge, part because i think it will be useful, seen i want to work developing new technologies (so i probably need to get a PhD).

The problem is: i don't know if this is a good idea. Should i just focus on the engineering classes, and use this time to get a PhD (actually, here we do need to do a MSc before PhD)?
    I, personally, don't see a big problem in delaying my graduation to study a little more, but i don't know if employers care about this or something like that...

Maybe someone will ask "why don't do physics?". I want the "know how" of the engineers.

Thanks, and again, sorry for anything.

-edit-

I'm thinking i posted in the wrong place...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2015 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, stay a little longer and learn MORE. Make good choices to learn things which either you would enjoy, or which make you more marketable (for finding employment).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook