1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second Bachelors Degree in Aerospace engineering at age 27?

1. Nov 23, 2013 #1
    Hi guys, I hope I can explain my situation well enough and get some good feedback on what to do.

I graduated with a Bachelors in Economics, at the age of 24, started college late due to some financial hardship. I've been working for two years now, and I'm at a crossroads on what to do next.

I really don't find myself as fascinated with finance, in fact I routinely study rocket engine design and as a hobby have taken up building my own liquid propellant rocket engine. Check out Copenhagen Suborbital, great bunch of guys trying to send a man into sub orbit.

The next step would be for me to go and get a masters in finance ie. MBA but I'm not so sure about that anymore.

I took cal 1 and cal 2 and physics 1 and physics 2 and chem 1 and chem 2. I found calc to be quite easy actually. I struggled in my liberal arts courses and my gpa was a 3.2. Calc and physics being the only classes that I got an A in, in my entire college career.

I dont doubt my aptitude but if I apply to college know, I will be 27 when I start and spend about 3 years graduating and be done by 30.

I worry that at 30, with no work experience that I will have a tough time finding a job.

My end goal is to spend time in design and research, being able to test new materials and systems for propulsion in rockets and jet engines.

I envision it would almost be fun to come into work and fire up the CAD and go to work, as if everyday was creative and new.

Anyway, I hope I can get some guidance and opinions.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2013 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You can intern during your studies to help gain useful work experience, further if you go on to get a masters many companies will waive the "one years experience."

It is illegal for an interviewer to ask your age, although it's inferable from your résumé. I don't think age 30 will a be a problem.

4. Nov 24, 2013 #3
    If it doesn't work out, you can always go back into finance and pay off the debt.

5. Nov 24, 2013 #4
    Engineers and scientists regularly get jobs in the finance industry. Plus, he has an economics degree and experience in finance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook