1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I do my Masters on something more specific than my degree?

1. Jul 21, 2013 #1
    Hi,I am studying mechanical engineering and I am going to apply for my masters in a few months.However, Im wondering if I should do my masters in Advanced Mechanical Engineering or in Fluid mechanics & Power Cycles.
    What do you think?If I do my masters in something more specific, is this going to limit my employment opportunities?
    thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2013 #2

donpacino

Gold Member

In my opinion getting a specific masters will limit your employment opportunities. However it will open more advanced jobs as well.

4. Jul 27, 2013 #3
    so you have no idea what kind of job or field you'd like to work in?

5. Jul 28, 2013 #4
    Thank you for your reply.I know that I want a job related in thermo-fluid mechanics.Either in aeronautics and aerodynamics or in the oil and gas industry.However, I am not really sure that I will find the job I want(like everyone). If I do my masters on something specifc, when applying for other engineering positions, candidates with Masters in Advanced Mechanical Engineering will have an advance.

6. Jul 28, 2013 #5
    How big are these fields? I mean are there many jobs, or very few? (take a look at http://www.engineerjobs.com/ or similar websites and assess the quantity of jobs you're interested in compared to other fields)
    what are the qualifications required to be eligible to those jobs?
    Are the qualifications very strict? like in order to work @ Boeing, is it required to have a Msc in aeronautical engineering? or will a Msc in mechanical Engineering work too?

imo it's a matter of balance, you don't want to specialize too much because if you may not want to work in the same field your whole life, but at the same time some field require that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook