1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should i get recommendation from math teacher for physics grad school

1. Mar 27, 2014 #1
    Hi all,

I am an undergrad physics major working in two physics labs and also doing research in math with a professor. I only have two strong recomendations from my two physics lab professors, so for my third recomendation (for physics graduate school) i wanted to ask my math professor, so i would have three strong letters. Should I? Would physics grad schools care that I did research in math? Or should I just ask another physics professor who could write me an ok letter?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Depends on the school and also on the field you want to enter.
    Can also depend on the math teacher.

If you are entering grad-school in the same college you were undergrad, then you should already have an idea about this. Talk to the post-grad dean or whoever is in charge of sheparding students. If the grad school specifies that the letters have to be from physics teachers then you have your answer.

4. Mar 27, 2014 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Generally a reference letter from a math professor, particularly one you've worked with, is just fine. What admissions committees are typically looking for is the opinion of a person who's in a position to evaluate your potential for success in graduate school.

Since you already have two references from physics professors, I don't think that anyone would blink at one coming from a mathematics professor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook