Should i get recommendation from math teacher for physics grad school

• Schools
  • Thread starter Aziza
  • Start date
Hi all,

I am an undergrad physics major working in two physics labs and also doing research in math with a professor. I only have two strong recomendations from my two physics lab professors, so for my third recomendation (for physics graduate school) i wanted to ask my math professor, so i would have three strong letters. Should I? Would physics grad schools care that I did research in math? Or should I just ask another physics professor who could write me an ok letter?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Answers and Replies

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Depends on the school and also on the field you want to enter.
Can also depend on the math teacher.

If you are entering grad-school in the same college you were undergrad, then you should already have an idea about this. Talk to the post-grad dean or whoever is in charge of sheparding students. If the grad school specifies that the letters have to be from physics teachers then you have your answer.

Choppy
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Generally a reference letter from a math professor, particularly one you've worked with, is just fine. What admissions committees are typically looking for is the opinion of a person who's in a position to evaluate your potential for success in graduate school.

Since you already have two references from physics professors, I don't think that anyone would blink at one coming from a mathematics professor.

Likes 1 person