Should i get recommendation from math teacher for physics grad school

In summary: Plus, having a diverse range of research experiences can only strengthen your application.In summary, the individual is an undergrad physics major with two strong recommendations from physics lab professors and is considering asking their math professor for a third recommendation for physics graduate school. They are unsure if physics grad schools would care about their research in math and are seeking advice. It ultimately depends on the school and field, but generally a recommendation from a math professor is acceptable and can add diversity to their application.
Aziza
Hi all,

I am an undergrad physics major working in two physics labs and also doing research in math with a professor. I only have two strong recomendations from my two physics lab professors, so for my third recomendation (for physics graduate school) i wanted to ask my math professor, so i would have three strong letters. Should I? Would physics grad schools care that I did research in math? Or should I just ask another physics professor who could write me an ok letter?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the school and also on the field you want to enter.
Can also depend on the math teacher.

If you are entering grad-school in the same college you were undergrad, then you should already have an idea about this. Talk to the post-grad dean or whoever is in charge of sheparding students. If the grad school specifies that the letters have to be from physics teachers then you have your answer.

Generally a reference letter from a math professor, particularly one you've worked with, is just fine. What admissions committees are typically looking for is the opinion of a person who's in a position to evaluate your potential for success in graduate school.

Since you already have two references from physics professors, I don't think that anyone would blink at one coming from a mathematics professor.

Likes 1 person

Related to Should i get recommendation from math teacher for physics grad school

1. Should I get a recommendation from my math teacher for physics grad school?

It is highly recommended to get a recommendation from a math teacher for physics grad school, especially if your math skills are strong and relevant to the field of physics. A strong recommendation from a math teacher can highlight your analytical and problem-solving abilities, which are essential for success in graduate level physics courses.

2. What if I haven't taken any physics classes with my math teacher?

Even if you have not taken any physics classes with your math teacher, they can still write a strong recommendation for you based on your academic performance and interactions in their math classes. They can also speak to your potential and ability to excel in physics based on your performance in their class.

3. Can I get a recommendation from a math teacher if I am applying to a different field of physics?

Yes, you can still get a recommendation from a math teacher even if you are applying to a different field of physics. Math is a fundamental subject in all branches of physics, so a recommendation from a math teacher can still be valuable in showcasing your skills and potential for success in graduate level physics courses.

4. Is it better to get a recommendation from a physics professor instead?

Ideally, it is best to get a recommendation from a physics professor if possible. They can speak specifically to your performance and potential in physics courses and research, which are the main focus of a physics graduate program. However, if you have a strong relationship with a math teacher and they can speak to your strengths and potential in physics, it can still be a valuable recommendation.

5. How many recommendations should I get for my physics grad school application?

Most graduate programs require at least 3 recommendations, and it is recommended to get recommendations from a mix of professors, employers, and other professionals who can speak to different aspects of your skills and potential. If you have a strong relationship with a math teacher and they can provide a valuable recommendation, it is recommended to include it in your application.