Should I go to a big name school for my PhD?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Topher925
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd School
In summary, the individual is considering getting their PhD from a larger and better rated engineering school but is concerned about the "academic only" kind of learning that these schools have and being surrounded by egghead academics. They have a good amount of industrial experience and believe that a degree from a higher ranked school may open more doors for them. They are looking to go into research and development in the alternative energy industry. The individual is wondering if it is more important to choose the right PhD thesis advisor or the right school and believes that their current school, although not well known, offers research they are interested in and is well tied to industry. They are also unsure about how to determine the reputation of potential advisors and the impact of publications and research success in
Topher925
I got my BSME from a small not well known school(Oakland University) and am currently getting my MSME there as well. When applying for grad schools I looked at some of the bigger name and higher ranked engineering schools but got frustrated very quickly by being treated as just a number and being denied support so I stuck with OU. I'm also not a big fan of the "academic only" kind of learning that top schools have.

I have a good amount of industrial experience and worked with many other graduates from a lot of the top schools in the NE and I was never impressed by their education. They could solve any problem in a textbook but when it came to the real thing they just couldn't keep up very well.

So I'm thinking about maybe trying to get into a larger and better rated school for engineering to get my PhD but I feel that if I do I will be taking a hit in my education. Although a degree from a higher rated school might open many more doors for me. I'm looking to go into research and development in the industry more specifically alternative energy.

So what should I do? Stay where I am at in a school that is surrounded by industrial research and development but to small to be rated, or go for the best school that I can get into?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's more important to pick the right Ph.D. thesis advisor than to pick the right school. Figure out who's doing research that you're interested in, and find out how their students have fared. Once you've chosen the two or three researchers you'd like to work with, contact them and apply to whatever schools they're at. Your Ph.D. advisor is your mentor; the right one can help ensure that you pursue a fruitful research direction and provide contacts when you graduate, and his/her reputation will also reflect on you.

I've helped hire engineers in industry and am now completing a PhD in materials science, and I would encourage you to apply to the higher ranked school, assuming there are a few people there doing research you're interested in.

I think your post contains a few misconceptions. First, I don't think you'll be "treated like a number" at a better school, especially in grad school. In fact, I think you'll be valued more by your department and your peers. You'll also likely be pushed to achieve more. Second, your chances of support (i.e., through funded research projects) seem better at a higher ranked school that wins larger grants. Third, your employment chances are better.

It sounds like you're worried about being surrounded by a bunch of egghead academics who've never experienced the real world. To avoid this, make sure you choose an advisor and group with strong ties to industry and a track record of enabling real-world products and processes.

Topher925 said:
I'm also not a big fan of the "academic only" kind of learning that top schools have.

Wait, what? Unless something has changed, a Ph.D. is an academic degree. If you don't want academic training, stay in industry. That said, when I was an undergrad almost all the engineering professors had strong industrial ties, and while many of them did very "academic" research, I don't think that they found themselves struggling with "the real thing."

Anyway, as ksvanhorn said, more important than the reputation of the school is the reputation of your advisor, however well ranked schools tend to attract more visible advisors. You only get your Ph.D. once, so you might as well do it at the best place that will accept you.

Thanks for the advice.

Mapes said:
It sounds like you're worried about being surrounded by a bunch of egghead academics who've never experienced the real world. To avoid this, make sure you choose an advisor and group with strong ties to industry and a track record of enabling real-world products and processes.

Yes, this is what I am afraid of. I don't like doing work that doesn't serve a purpose or application to real world problems.

My current school does offer research I am interested in and is well tied to industry. And when I was applying for my masters it was the only school that would directly offer me any kind of support without jumping through a lot of hoops. All professors (except the ones at my school) I contacted about research opportunities gave me the typical "come back after you have passed the quals" speech. Should I assume this would be different for directly going into the PhD program?

Unless something has changed, a Ph.D. is an academic degree. If you don't want academic training, stay in industry.

I never really thought a degree could be just an "academic" degree. After all, not all PhD graduates go into academics. I thought about just getting a masters but I don't believe it will allow the opportunities to perform the type of work that I want.

As for reputable advisers, well I am not really sure about who is reputable or not. The only thing I really have to base that on is the number of publications and the success of their work. However, how that is recognized in the field of their research, I don't really know.

1. Should I go to a big name school for my PhD?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. It ultimately depends on your individual goals and priorities. Some potential benefits of attending a big name school for your PhD include access to top-notch faculty, cutting-edge research opportunities, and a prestigious degree that may open doors for future career opportunities. However, there are also drawbacks to consider, such as a highly competitive and potentially stressful environment, a larger class size and less individualized attention, and a potentially higher cost of attendance. It's important to carefully weigh these factors and consider what is most important to you before making a decision.

2. How important is the reputation of the school for my PhD?

The reputation of the school is certainly important, but it should not be the sole determining factor in your decision. A highly reputable school may offer valuable resources and networking opportunities, but it's also important to consider the specific program and faculty you will be working with. It's possible to receive an excellent education and conduct impactful research at a lesser-known school with a strong program in your field of interest.

3. Will attending a big name school guarantee a successful career?

No, attending a big name school does not guarantee a successful career. While it may open doors and provide valuable experiences, your success ultimately depends on your own hard work, dedication, and skills. It's important to have a clear understanding of your career goals and how attending a certain school may or may not align with them.

4. Are there any disadvantages to attending a big name school for my PhD?

Yes, there can be disadvantages to attending a big name school for your PhD. As mentioned earlier, the competitive and high-pressure environment may not be suitable for everyone and could potentially lead to burnout. Additionally, the cost of attendance may be higher, and there may be less flexibility in terms of research focus or individualized attention from faculty. It's important to carefully consider these potential drawbacks before making a decision.

5. Are there any alternative options to attending a big name school for my PhD?

Yes, there are alternative options to attending a big name school for your PhD. Consider looking into smaller, lesser-known schools with strong programs in your field of interest. You could also look into universities with a strong focus on research, even if they may not have the same level of name recognition. Additionally, you could consider pursuing your PhD part-time while working in a related job, which may offer valuable hands-on experience and financial stability. Ultimately, the most important factor is finding a program and environment that aligns with your goals and values.