1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I know what field I want to go in for grad school?

1. Oct 1, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I'm a senior undergrad preparing for graduate studies.
    But I have this problem where I don't really know what field of physics I want to go in.
    I really have no clue.
    And I feel like that is a big part in deciding what schools to apply/attend.
    Then again, I feel like no one really knows either, since undergrad physics really is an assortment of appetizers of all the different fields of physics.

Could anyone share some words of wisdom? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2011 #2
    I'm kinda going through the same thing. Though I have been able to narrow things down a bit, I'm still interested in about 3 different areas.

I suppose you could apply to universities which have a wide variety of research areas, so if you decide you like a certain field, you can get into it.

4. Oct 1, 2011 #3
    Well, I know what I don't want to do at least.
    I want to work outside of academia when I'm done, so stuff like particle/high energy physics or pretty much anything theoretical isn't what I want to do.
    Other than that, no clue lol

5. Oct 1, 2011 #4
    That actually narrows it down quite a bit. You should consider looking into condensed matter experiment and material science.

6. Oct 1, 2011 #5
    That makes 3 of us lol.

Took the words out of my mouth. That or something related to optics/optoelectronics or semiconductor physics come to mind.

If you're in the UK/EU you might want to have a look at this:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook